First attempt at annealing - pics included

How many of you quench your brass after heating?

Ive read an article where its explained that the quenching does not change the brass properties so its not neccesary to do this step. But im not sure if this is true as I have tested it by quenching some and others not and it looks like the quenched brass feels stiffer and dont bend so easily as those that have not been quenched. Anybody got some light on this?

Also I have 450F Tempilac how far below a 308 case shoulders should I make the mark? And do you wait for the tempilac to go red or completely melt away?

Thanks

I don't quench, it is a waste of time.
As for the melpat just do the neck and shoulder, as the color changes there should be more than enough heat to do the bottom of the shoulder.
BTW a friend has a machine that holds 2 torches above a turn table with holes in it. As the table turns each piece gets 3 seconds then at the end of the cycle the brass drops into a collection bin, no quenching needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts