1903A4 Springfield is a shooter!

That is quite long…especially for Kreiger! Everything gun related seems delayed. I have an order in to Criterion for a 6.5x284 match barrel, placed back in late November. They are an affiliate of Kreiger…..I was quoted 23 weeks. Hope they stick to that!
I called again. They said "it's in the process and maybe 8-12weeks more." Aaaaaahhhhhh

Pat

Got this Gibbs 1903A4 Springfield Sniper 30-06 about 3 years ago. Never shot it much. I had a good load with for my Garand with the 168 MatchKing, but the Gibbs didn't like it much(1.5" group). Played around a little with the 125 Ballistic tips and it would shoot them into 1".

I decided to sell it a couple of months ago and had three takers but they all changed their minds because of a small chip in the stock. So I figure, might as well do some serious load workup and see if the rifle will shoot. I wanted a long range bullet in the 150g range for whitetail deer, so I chose two to try. The 155 Hornady AMAX and the Berger 155 VLD Hunting. I started out with a medium load of Varget. This is the first groups...

The AMAX was a success on the first try but I wasn't satisfied with the Berger. The first batch of Bergers had 030 jump, so I decide to move closer. The next batch was only .005 jump and did great.

Now i'm ready to start moving out to 300 and then 600 yds and see how she does, but i'm tickled so far!
Nice rig! love the old Springfield 03's A4's I have and 1903 C stock that matches accurate, I'd love to put the old 8x Unertl scope or Lyman on it, but! never mess with rifles that shoot accurately as is, and are also collectible. Have fun with it, take it on the first Deer or Elk hunt you can. Cheers

1903 C stock  011 - Copy.jpg

Hello:
Just another update on my 30:06 bbl from Krieger.
As I said previously I order this bbl for the 1903a4 build inFeb of 2021. Here we are May 2022 NO Barrel yet. I was told a variety of excuses so far.
I sent an email to the Owner, no reply. I wonder how they can stay in business when they operate this way. The owner clearly has no handle on what's going on. Down the road I'm sure things will turn around. I'm just disappointed in them.

That is quite long…especially for Kreiger! Everything gun related seems delayed. I have an order in to Criterion for a 6.5x284 match barrel, placed back in late November. They are an affiliate of Kreiger…..I was quoted 23 weeks. Hope they stick to that!
Hello: Well I just called Krieger again . They said it is ready to be shipped as of today. That is July 2022 from Feb 2021 for ONE barrel. Ask me if I would do this again.
I hope it shoots 10xs better than I think.
Cu
Pb

Whenever, I have "good luck" on a first load, I always load .2 above and .2 below to make sure that I am actually on an accuracy node. Then I fire I fire all 3 loads and super impose them on each other and look at the group size.

IWhenever, I have "good luck" on a first load, I always load .2 above and .2 below to make sure that I am actually on an accuracy node. Then I fire I fire all 3 loads and super impose them on each other and look at the group size.
I finally put together the trial assembly but without the Stith mount (I ll try that over the winter)
I tried the 155 Nosler Custom Competition bullets w a 3.27 OAL 46.5 Gr of IMR 4064. I found that I should have bore sighted before wasting bullets but my eagerness to get out there and shoot overwhelmed prudence. I put a few bullets close to where I was wanting to be but I ll have to get out there and get it right. I only had 7 rounds of these.
I ordered and just received the Sierra 155 gr MK so I will look to see if the choice will be IMR 4064 or H 4895 based on what I have. I can't find Varget anymore.
I must say aside from my slightly meager attempt on sighting, the set up looks great and the trigger is fantastic. I have to do research but that trigger is really something for a"military " rig. (She has the 1-12 twist Krieger cut bbl. BTW.)

Attachments

• 4D1D6500-8000-47FE-A101-49BCBFBA33C3.jpeg
    4D1D6500-8000-47FE-A101-49BCBFBA33C3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
I have one also (1903a3) A Smith Corona no less. It shoots perfect . I have another 1903a3 Remington as new never fired with the original sling from WWII. I am tempted to shoot it but I just love to have it….
Wood guns are not as popular as they once were but I enjoy and appreciate their fine craftsmanship.
Long range shooting is something I savor.

Recent Posts