1903A4 Springfield is a shooter!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by jwcrabb, Jul 12, 2013.

1. jwcrabb

jwcrabb Well-Known Member

Got this Gibbs 1903A4 Springfield Sniper 30-06 about 3 years ago. Never shot it much. I had a good load with for my Garand with the 168 MatchKing, but the Gibbs didn't like it much(1.5" group). Played around a little with the 125 Ballistic tips and it would shoot them into 1".
    [​IMG]

I decided to sell it a couple of months ago and had three takers but they all changed their minds because of a small chip in the stock. So I figure, might as well do some serious load workup and see if the rifle will shoot. I wanted a long range bullet in the 150g range for whitetail deer, so I chose two to try. The 155 Hornady AMAX and the Berger 155 VLD Hunting. I started out with a medium load of Varget. This is the first groups...

[​IMG]

The AMAX was a success on the first try but I wasn't satisfied with the Berger. The first batch of Bergers had 030 jump, so I decide to move closer. The next batch was only .005 jump and did great.

[​IMG]

Now i'm ready to start moving out to 300 and then 600 yds and see how she does, but i'm tickled so far!

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Very nice! I have an original A3 Reminton that shoots sub MOA with Hornady FMJ 150gr, 56.5 IMR 4350. Those old Springfields are shooters! We shoot Vintage 300/600 Sniper competition. The shooters with the A4's with Unertyl's shoot some incredible scores.