It is the Gun, not the shooter

Sealesniper

I remember 34 years ago, when I watched my dad shoot his first deer with me in NC. I was six, and the deer looked so far away, and he made the shot look so effortless with his Remington 700 in .308. We still pass the field today on the way to our farm, and the barn he leaned against is almost completely gone, and that long shot as I remember it was just over 100 yards....but it soliidified in my young eyes, that my dad could shoot.

Over the years I have taken deer and other game with my dad at my side, and have become a pretty good shot. He still tells people of my off hand shot of 348 yards with his .308 on a good buck down east. So as I started trading out my factory arms for custom made arms, he was sure my ability to shoot accurately was because of the shooter and not the gun. With my customs, I have the confidence to shoot a long way, because I know if I have the range right, the bullet will hit what I hold the crosshairs on.

My dad is now in his 71st year and his old .308 is still his go to gun. He took several nice deer this season, and I was lucky enought to share three great hunts with him where we both took deer, and I took them well over 300 yards. He commented that he wished he had been able to shoot like me, but at his age, the shooter was not stable enough to make that happen.

Shortly after these talks, I was working with my friend and local gun builder, Dan Glover of Dan's Custom Guns, about a new Night Force Scope for my 6x47 Lapua. Dan showed me his scope on his personal 7-300 WSM that he built and offered the scope for sale, but the reticle was not what I wanted. We started talking about his gun and my father. Dan has a range at his shop, and he let me throw a few rounds downrange, and they were touching. I got to thinking about my dad, and asked if the complete gun package was for sale. Dan was not looking to sell it, but he said...."It could be for sale".

I took the gun with me and met my dad at our farm, where I have a shooting house for long range shooting. My dad, still sckeptical looked at his last "sight in" target from his .308. At 100 yards he was holding a 4" pattern, and as he says, "good enough to kill a deer".

I set up a new target at 100 yards and let him fire a few dummy rounds to get a feel for the Jewel trigger's 9 ounce pull. When he was ready, I told him to shoot at the top of the circle, as the rounds would be 2.25" high at 100 yards and I did not want to dope the scope because of the zero stop on his 8-32x56 NF. His first shot, he flinched and pulled a little right. His next two were stacked on top of each other. He was impressed.

I then moved the target to 250 yards and told him to hold dead on, breath and send it. He shot twice and made a nice little snow man just below the bulls eye. He stood up and gave me a high five....from a 71 year old man that rarely shows emotion....yes, it was worth the price of admission right there.

I then moved the target to 500 yards and doped his scope for 5.5 MOA of drop. He laughed as he looked down range and said there was no way he would even hit the target stand, never mind the target. I asked him to trust the gun and the scope. We leveled the gun, and he setled in for a five shot group. When the shooting stopped, he had a 2 5/8 group at 500 yards and two bullets were touching. He takes the target with him where ever he goes showing people what "his gun" can do. If you want to see his target, it is below. And yes, it is now his gun, as he bought it from Dan.

So, if you are into long range hunting and shooting, and looking for a high quality weapon, you owe it to yourself to look and see what Dan Glover of Dan's Custom Guns can do for you. If you are looking for accuracy, quality and integrity, talk to Dan, you will not be disappointed.

Roger AKA Sealesniper

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Pops Target.JPG
    Pops Target.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Great story! Man that brought back memories of the magical feeling I'd get when my dad would take me hunting! We only get to hunt 1 week together every year now when we go to New Mexico for mule deer. Boy do I cherish every moment of it. God bless you and your dad! It reminds me I put a Nikon buckmasters 4.5x14x40 BDC scope on my dads old 700 Rem Mag. One of two guns I grew up seeing my dad shoot when I was a kid. With my reloads 160gr Nosler accubond I set the gun to shoot out to 600yrds. He took it on an Audad hunt and dropped a big one @ 600yrds with one shot! Hearing the excitement in his voice when he called to tell me was well worth the time I spent setting it all up for him! Never before had he made such a shot! So I know what you mean! :)

Oh and I failed to mention that he had a full body mount on it and has it on display at his business for all his friends and customers to see and hear the story of that amazing hunt! Lolgun)

You ae 100% correct. I do cherish ever moment we get to spend together, and it means a lot to me to be able to "give back" to him. Being a father myself of two daughters, I see how much time and effort it takes to provide for the family, and then to be able to make time for them. Luckily both of my girls hunt with me, and both took their first deer at age 7. My youngest, now 10, shot her first deer with my 7-300 WSM at 269 yards and then dropped her second at 257 yards 10 minutes later. My oldest took a really nice 7 point this year with my custom 6x47. Like they say, you will not be remembered by the clothes and car or house you had, but by the time you spent with your family and friends.

Glad my story meant something to you. I look forward to watching my dad take his first deer over 500 yards this October.

Good shooting.

That's awesome! Get it on video when you do put him on that 500yrd kill. :)
And I'm glad you get to take your kids and pass on the tradition. Something they will never forget either.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.