243AI, is it dead in the water?

Kanoeking

I'm in the process of building a new long range plinker/Varminter/antelope/deer rifle. The conundrum I'm in is I'm hung up on calibre selection. I know I'm going to build this rifle in 6mm. I'm utilizing a Remington 700 SA. I plan on shooting 115's or 105's. I'm very interested in the 243 Ackley but I'm also open to the 6mm Creedmoor and the 6x47 Lapua. Looking for opinions.

I don't think it's dead at all. I am actually gonna build one in the very near future. By summer.
.243 is perfect for your needs I'd say you found what you were looking for with your first choice.
Not to hijack but while on topic. Does anyone know for sure if you can still fire factory ammo out of the .243 improved? I know most you can but just wanted to know for sure on this specific one.
Thanks

I'm in the process of building a new long range plinker/Varminter/antelope/deer rifle. The conundrum I'm in is I'm hung up on calibre selection. I know I'm going to build this rifle in 6mm. I'm utilizing a Remington 700 SA. I plan on shooting 115's or 105's. I'm very interested in the 243 Ackley but I'm also open to the 6mm Creedmoor and the 6x47 Lapua. Looking for opinions.
I really like my 6 creedmoor...one of my favorite rifles.

I don't think it's dead at all. I am actually gonna build one in the very near future. By summer.
.243 is perfect for your needs I'd say you found what you were looking for with your first choice.
Not to hijack but while on topic. Does anyone know for sure if you can still fire factory ammo out of the .243 improved? I know most you can but just wanted to know for sure on this specific one.
Thanks
Firing standard 243 Win loadings through an Ackley chamber is how you fire form the cases. It's sort of the bonus of the Ackley and one of the reasons I'm very much so leaning that direction. The only reason I question it's lively hood is that it seems as though it's been long tossed to the curb for the new 6mm sweethearts out there.

I have a Rem 700 in .243AI that I really like. It has a 8 twist 26" remage barrel. Still developing a load around Berger 105 HVLDs, but all looking good so far. .5"-.7" groups at around 3100 fps with H4831sc and N565. I think N560 would be better but I can't find any. It shoots factory 100gr soft points into 1.2" when fire-forming.

I like the 243AI for everything you mentioned if you don't want to fireform the 6mm creed is a heck of a round if you go 6x47 you may end up turning necks its a pain but a one time thing you cant go wrong with any of the three you cannot make a wrong decision here

I thought as much but not all improved do.
Thanks
Also I think the .243 got a bit lost but not the AI.
If you are getting a new barrel cut just make sure to get a twist rate that is more than the bare min.
That way you have options for long mono single feed if you fell the need. That's what I've done with all of mine. Those monos get long but can really shine when used right.
Also keep in mind that your gains will be somewhat determined by barrel length. You may not gain much with a 24" but you will see great gains with 26" plus barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.