243AI, is it dead in the water?

I thought as much but not all improved do.
Thanks
Also I think the .243 got a bit lost but not the AI.
If you are getting a new barrel cut just make sure to get a twist rate that is more than the bare min.
That way you have options for long mono single feed if you fell the need. That's what I've done with all of mine. Those monos get long but can really shine when used right.
Also keep in mind that your gains will be somewhat determined by barrel length. You may not gain much with a 24" but you will see great gains with 26" plus barrels.
Ive got a 243 ackley and I like it a lot the fireforming is fun for me as the fireform loads are very accurate I have been using the Peterson srp brass and have had very good luck with it we are using the 115 berger for paper and steel and the 101 hammer for hunting with great results

If you want a 243 AI, by all means have one built. We learn from experience, not others opinions. If you go this route, and have to buy dies and what else to facilitate it, plan on at least doing 2 barrels to even the costs out.
I am lost as to how someone can tell you to build a dasher or 6x47 in place of your desired case. Not only are they not in the same book, they are 2 floors below in the library.
I have shot almost all the 6mm's except 243AI and 6mm Rem
6 Comp Match
6 Creed
6 SLR* Most fun by far
6 XC
6 x 47 Lapua
6 Dasher
6 BRA
6 BR
Of coarse I have my favorites, but my opinion is irrelevant here. I'll repeat what one poster said, the creed is as close as you will get with a plug and play, but you sound like you are up for a challenge, go for it.

I'm definitely not opposed to hearing others' opinions. In fact, that's exactly why I asked the question. While I'm very much so leaning 243AI I'm open to suggestions. I plan on using a 7 twist and originally hoping to hang around a 22" RemAge tube but the deeper I dive into this build the mote convinced I am that 24"is the point of diminishing returns in the 6mm world. That's fine. My current rifles are running 26" pipes and all is well with it.

I'm definitely not opposed to hearing others' opinions. In fact, that's exactly why I asked the question. While I'm very much so leaning 243AI I'm open to suggestions. I plan on using a 7 twist and originally hoping to hang around a 22" RemAge tube but the deeper I dive into this build the mote convinced I am that 24"is the point of diminishing returns in the 6mm world. That's fine. My current rifles are running 26" pipes and all is well with it.
As Im sure you are well aware of with the 243 ackley you will most likely be single feeding with the short action and the long heavies I built mine on a long action so I could use the factory box

I haven't stumbled into that issue yet. I'm using AICS mags in a SA. This might eliminate the AI if this is law.
I wouldn't worry about mag length, Accurate mag has non binder plate mags, I shot Dtacs out of a 6 comp match, pretty sure the case is the same length as 243 AI. That can all be controlled with reamer choice too.

I haven't stumbled into that issue yet. I'm using AICS mags in a SA. This might eliminate the AI if this is law.
It will depend on the reamer used I had mine set up for the 115 berger and a standard short action would not work my loaded round is 2.905

.25-06 and never look back. Been around forever, solid loadings albeit limited in number, but readily available. accurate, low recoil, and will do everything you ask!

If you want something new and super whizbang, wait to see what the 27 Nosler is all about... :D

Love my 243 AI. After shooting 1500 115 DTAC's I did a setback. Couldn't get them to group like they once did so I switched to the 107 SMK's. Still a 1/2 MOA barrel but not like it used to be. Probably close to 2000 rounds.

Firing standard 243 Win loadings through an Ackley chamber is how you fire form the cases. It's sort of the bonus of the Ackley and one of the reasons I'm very much so leaning that direction. The only reason I question it's lively hood is that it seems as though it's been long tossed to the curb for the new 6mm sweethearts out there.
The 243 win cartridge may never go away, neither will the 308 parent cartridge. Ample supply for the Ackley version then. There are so many ways to drive a 6mm bullet anyway, so good luck researching!

I have a Rem 700 in .243AI that I really like. It has a 8 twist 26" remage barrel. Still developing a load around Berger 105 HVLDs, but all looking good so far. .5"-.7" groups at around 3100 fps with H4831sc and N565. I think N560 would be better but I can't find any. It shoots factory 100gr soft points into 1.2" when fire-forming.
Have you tried RL 26?

What length tube are you running on yours?
27". You can run them faster if using lapua brass also with the requirement of a long range deer/antelope cartridge I can't see going with anything smaller.another option would be the 6mm ai, it gives you a longer neck higher velocity with less pressure.

If you want another option that might be enticing..... 6 PRC. Open the bolt face up, run aics non binder 308 mag. You'll have 2.950 COAL available. There are couple of those here in my area and 1 is a close friend. I am considering one as well. I run the 6.5 PRC now and have played with the numbers. Just kind of a interesting long range predator idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts