185gr hunting VLD

Iden

I was just going to ask For opinions and/or stories reguarding this bullet and it's performance and limitations. I just found a load with my 300wm using this bullet. Unfortunately I read of how most of the Berger bullet users are using the heavier bullets. Just would like to know how the 185 compares to the others.

My setup
-rem 700 action
-29" benchmark barrel
-h-s precision stock
-nightforce scope

My load
-66 gr h-4350
-fed 215 primers
-mv-3100fps

I was just going to ask For opinions and/or stories reguarding this bullet and it's performance and limitations. I just found a load with my 300wm using this bullet. Unfortunately I read of how most of the Berger bullet users are using the heavier bullets. Just would like to know how the 185 compares to the others.

My setup
-rem 700 action
-29" benchmark barrel
-h-s precision stock
-nightforce scope

My load
-66 gr h-4350
-fed 215 primers
-mv-3100fps
THats your load with the 185? I used to shoot that bullet, 81g H1000 and CCI BR2 primers at 3030 fps out of a 27" blackstar barrel in my 300wm. It will kill stuff as good as any other I suppose. I chose to load up a bigger bullet to stretch my ranges.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAOyY6yO9MQ&feature=g-all-u]943yd "Mountain" Goat - Long Range Shooting - YouTube[/ame]

my 300RUM loved them, and that's what killed the goat in this video. along with a a handful of deer in the 50 to 800 yd range.

they are just feral goats. they are all rams with big weird horns. they are on private property and the owner said i could shoot one for free if i kept it over 800 yds. so we were glassing for squirrels one day, and they fed out over the ridge. I hadn't seen them before, so I got set up for a shot, and let er rip.

at that range the 185 punched through a decent amount of bone, and stopped just under the skin on the opposite side of the goat.

they are just feral goats. they are all rams with big weird horns. they are on private property and the owner said i could shoot one for free if i kept it over 800 yds. so we were glassing for squirrels one day, and they fed out over the ridge. I hadn't seen them before, so I got set up for a shot, and let er rip.

at that range the 185 punched through a decent amount of bone, and stopped just under the skin on the opposite side of the goat.
Well that's a great shot on a target that small because I'm betting they aren't over 3' tall with a "kill zone" of only about ten inches top to bottom and 18 left to right and from the vid, it sure looked like a shot straight through both shoulders and the spine.

Feral goats and sheep are pretty tough game to even get on at shorter ranges so you probably had the right idea all the way around.

Congrats again.

I shot the 185 all last year with great results, my load was 76.5 gn of H4831sc cci 250 win brass out of my 300 wm, I was getting 2995fps out of a factory 24", It shot extremely well and I was able to take an elk at 331yds and a mule deer at 609. I rebarreled my rifle earlier this year and now im shooting the 197 botw vld out of a 26" barrel at 2985 fps, this bullet is a smoker with its BC of .620. there is nothing wrong with the 185 but there are better bullets out there for longrange hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.