6mm 105 berger vld hunting

jde650

I have a 27" pac nor barrel 8 twist rem 700 trued action 6mm-270wsm. I am loading the 105 berger vld hunting with 60 grains of rl 25. I was at the range yesterday to sight in at 100 yds. I couldn't even get to target without blow up. I want to use for long range mule deer hunting. Should I use the 105 target with thicker jacket. Chronagraph 3450 fps.
This blows up the a-max too.
Would really appreciate any suggestions from long range hunters.

Thanks,

Jim
progress.gif

The Bergers will not tolerate much more than 3250 fps. You can try the target bullets and might get more velocity but I doubt that you can get them to 3450. The next best option is to go to the next heavier bullets such at the 115 Berger or DTAC. This will reduce your velocities down to about what they can tolerate and then you may need to drop the velocity just a little more. The 115s are great long range hunting bullets. They have worked very well for me.

You can also try the 107 gr Sierra MKs which will tolerate a lot more velocity than the Bergers.

Thanks, I already have a 270 wsm, I guess I just want to be a little different. Buffalobob, will the 8 twist stablize the 115 berger.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts