175 Grain ELD-X for hunting?

I used the 180M in a 7mm Rem Mag on a cow elk hunt a few years ago. The shot was at about 100 yards and went in through a rib bone and into the chest cavity. Before I could work the bolt for a second shot, the elk was staggering sideways the way they do before going down.

The 180M worked perfectly in this case.

The eldx is a fine deer bullet, there are better bullets for close up shots but everything is a compromise in terminal ballistics. I have no second thoughts when holding on deer shoulder and slinging the 143gr from my 6.5prc. They behave like the Hornady SST which has been my favorite medium game bullet for years. Put your vertical stadia line even with front leg hold mid line with your horizontal and fold them like a cheap suit. Hasn't mattered if they were at 50yd or 450yd.

Attachments

• 0AD6B2C4-7430-4E1E-BF06-9FC16C81856D.jpeg
    0AD6B2C4-7430-4E1E-BF06-9FC16C81856D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 30B9B724-B2F5-4395-B0CD-C31804A611B2.jpeg
    30B9B724-B2F5-4395-B0CD-C31804A611B2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 00BB2988-CC85-4BA6-BBF8-FAB7378C188F.jpeg
    00BB2988-CC85-4BA6-BBF8-FAB7378C188F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Hit up the search function and you will find a months reading on your question.
I did and that's I decided to ask the question. A ballistic tip type bullet does not do well in my hunting grounds. In heavy brush I need a good blood trail asap. Lots of times I have to make a quick short range shot. No time for a good placement scope sight in. I feel lucky that I was able to buy a some Nosler Accubonds last week at a decent price. Those have worked good for me in the past.

I did and that's I decided to ask the question. A ballistic tip type bullet does not do well in my hunting grounds. In heavy brush I need a good blood trail asap. Lots of times I have to make a quick short range shot. No time for a good placement scope sight in. I feel lucky that I was able to buy a some Nosler Accubonds last week at a decent price. Those have worked good for me in the past.
No bullet will penetrate brush that is a fallacy. Any bullet at high velocity that hits brush will have its path altered. I love Accubonds, I've used them much, but if you hit brush anywhere between your target and your point of aim you're asking for trouble. Brush super close to your target will affect it less, but bullets and obstruction is a super bad combo. Low powered scopes picking a hole through the brush is a much better option.

No bullet will penetrate brush that is a fallacy. Any bullet at high velocity that hits brush will have its path altered. I love Accubonds, I've used them much, but if you hit brush anywhere between your target and your point of aim you're asking for trouble. Brush super close to your target will affect it less, but bullets and obstruction is a super bad combo. Low powered scopes picking a hole through the brush is a much better option.
I don't shoot through or in brush. The deer run in it when hit. I shot one last week just as he was about to enter. I was using a 129 gr ACBLR I hit him dead center of his body because I had to make a quick shot. I waited for 20 minutes then started looking for him. When I found the blood trail he was easy to track. The bullet went right thru him and he left a lot of blood.

Ok, wife and I just finished up a Northern BC Mule deer hunt...2 4x4 mature bucks down, both shot in thick brush, both with ELD-X's (175 and 178) both dropped instantly, no need to track or search for blood trails. One at 35 yards and one at 70 yards.
Last year was the same results with 2 Bull moose and ELD-X's....again YMMV

Mike that's a dandy. Congrats!
Thanks We have a very liberal deer season here I Louisiana 6 deer tags per season 3 doe tags 2 buck tags and 1 either sex tag. Very expensive also over 60 years of age $5.00 per year includes fishing and turkey tags LOL. Not a bad deer at all for this 73 year old vet. Forgot had a few hogs on camera yesterday evening. They are the reason I hunt with a AR10 6.5 creedmoor

Attachments

• hogs.JPG
    hogs.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 21