140 Eld-m for deer hunting

Oh the bullet expanded alright, both separated from the jacket and the recovered shank that was found in the hind leg was nearly double diameter and weighed about 40gr with a couple other pieces around it that were probably part of it until it hit the rear leg bone, probably almost 60gr total inside the smashed leg bone, there was also shrapnel at the entrance wounds, just a surprising lack of liquification! Based on reviews I was expecting both lungs to be wrecked but it just didn't work out that way.

PS my best guess is that the poor performance in my case may have something to do with low velocity and low rpm's, even though I have a 1-7.5 twist and the bullets are stable, my rpm's at my velocity are probably significantly lower than the other guys who have replied ( I haven't taken the time to calculate because I have decided to try something else anyway). Also since rpm's don't bleed off as fast as velocity, the above loads that others are having success with may hold on to that performance longer than one might think, I have never done it, just theorizing...

Last edited:
Oh the bullet expanded alright, both separated from the jacket and the recovered shank that was found in the hind leg was nearly double diameter and weighed about 40gr with a couple other pieces around it that were probably part of it until it hit the rear leg bone, probably almost 60gr total inside the smashed leg bone, there was also shrapnel at the entrance wounds, just a surprising lack of liquification! Based on reviews I was expecting both lungs to be wrecked but it just didn't work out that way.

PS my best guess is that the poor performance in my case may have something to do with low velocity and low rpm's, even though I have a 1-7.5 twist and the bullets are stable, my rpm's at my velocity are probably significantly lower than the other guys who have replied ( I haven't taken the time to calculate because I have decided to try something else anyway). Also since rpm's don't bleed off as fast as velocity, the above loads that others are having success with may hold on to that performance longer than one might think, I have never done it, just theorizing...

The way I see it, your lower velocity is like a 400 yard shot from a 6.5 creedmoor. So the information is still helpful. Seems most people are having good results at short ranges with higher velocity impacts. The thing I am most curious about, is how it would perform at 500-600 yards.

At 25m a headshot was devastating with 130s at 2800.

283 yards got this double.
View attachment 173278
Missed a little high on the second shot...
View attachment 173279
View attachment 173280

There was some meat loss but overall I'm happy with them. These were ~90# deer and the bullet was at about ~2270 fps/1490 ft/#. Bullets did shatter all over, only recovered one tiny pice of lead no jackets from either deer. Exit side on uglier deer.
View attachment 173284
Thank you for the input. Looks pretty deadly

Started with 140gr Amax now using 140 ELDM from 6.5x284 and 6.5cm..... also have used the 120gr ELDM and 130gr ELDM also in 6.5. Fantastic results on whitetail and hogs. Largest hog harvested was 175lbs (DRT, no exit)

Ran the 168gr Amax in a .308 for deer, blackbuck and red stag with no issues as well.

Ran the 73gr ELDM in a .223 for whitetail have had exits and no exits... all died (heart/lung shots) within 40 yards. Two smaller pigs with headshots as well.

Fully confident in the entire series of ELDM for hogs, deer and on up as you increase in cartridge and caliber.

Sounds good. What kind of range were you making these kills from?

With the 140s my farthest was 340ish and closest was 45 yards.

I ran the 168gr through a red stag at 80 yards and he stood there and then tipped over.

The 73gr ELDM on deer was 115 and 205 yards and then 15 yards on the two piggies.

I shoot the 147 ELDM out of a 6.5 GAP. from 20-905 yards. No issues. 905 ran 30 yards. in general, devastating liquification (i know, it's not a word but sounds appropriate) on the insides similar to the 143 ELDX. 905 had quarter size exit. All others had golfball to softball exits. definitely a low velocity champ. running at around 1750 fps at 905.
SnT

I've killed animals with both the eld x and eld m. Everything I've shot has been dead on the spot. My buddy shot one deer with my rifle and x ammo and it ran 30-40 yards with no blood. The M will excite more because of the thinner jacket.

260 130 grain ELD-M on a buck at 40 yards

Left a fist sized hole behind the off shoulder. Deer ran 30 yards before piling up

Assume you are aware that Hornady makes an ELD Hunting bullet, ELD X, that will provide far better performance on animals than a match bullet ?

Assume you are aware that Hornady makes an ELD Hunting bullet, ELD X, that will provide far better performance on animals than a match bullet ?

everyone is aware is that— and the past several pages and dozens of threads across this forum have provided plenty of evidence that the ELDM, Amax and others are completely capable of safely, humanely and efficiently harvesting game.

Seems like a lot of the hunters in this thread shoot their game in the shoulder. I never shoot game in the shoulder to prevent meat loss. How do these ELDM perform on deer and elk when shot in the crease or just behind the shoulder?

Seems like a lot of the hunters in this thread shoot their game in the shoulder. I never shoot game in the shoulder to prevent meat loss. How do these ELDM perform on deer and elk when shot in the crease or just behind the shoulder?

wonderfully.

rapid, explosive expansion that destroys lungs and heart. Rarely an exit wound but I've found an exit is unnecessary when they drop in place or only make it 10-15 yards.

used 140s on many deer and a 168 on a red stag with a .308 that dropped in his tracks.

wonderfully.

rapid, explosive expansion that destroys lungs and heart. Rarely an exit wound but I've found an exit is unnecessary when they drop in place or only make it 10-15 yards.

Thanks! Based on your comment and the others talking about their success hunting with the ELDM, when/why would someone choose the ELDX instead? I guess this is more of a pros and cons of each cartridge question that maybe depends on the game and distance shooting?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.