175 Grain ELD-X for hunting?

Bominiscious

May be a dumb question but I have a pile of these and my Tikka build in 7Rem Mag shoots a particular loaded really well. Can I hunt with these? Or is that a bad idea? This is all still new to me coming from bow hunting.

I think I might've gotten the two confused. I think I have the Eld-M match bullets and wondering if those would work on deer and hogs. But looks like some guys have used them effectively.
I used the 147 ELD M for a quite a few years and had excellent success. Before I got into Bergers and hornady "match" bullets I didn't think they would work. I had good success with berger but excellent results with hornady ELD. Most of my kills were wolves, 15 with match bullets, 2 with arrows..... but the match bullets did an excellent job on wolves, coyotes, mountain lion, and a few deer.

Keep your impact velocity under 3K fps and don't try to shoot through bone (shoulders) and you'll be fine with the ELD-X or ELD-M. They will NOT shoot through bone heavier than ribs in a way that gives consistent results.

Keep your impact velocity under 3K fps and don't try to shoot through bone (shoulders) and you'll be fine with the ELD-X or ELD-M. They will NOT shoot through bone heavier than ribs in a way that gives consistent results.
I will second this. Do not shoot for the shoulder. I was with a buddy hunting in New Zealand this year and he was shooting a 6.5 PRC with 143 ELD-X and took two shoulder shots, both over 400 yards, and neither penetrated or dispatched he animal. One was a Tahr and one was a Red Stag. Follow up shots were necessary on both. I always aim for the boiler room and have never had an issue with the 175's but they are the only ELD-X bullets that I have shot.

Last edited:
In 7mm ;

175 is a ELDX
180 is a ELDM
May be a dumb question but I have a pile of these and my Tikka build in 7Rem Mag shoots a particular loaded really well. Can I hunt with these? Or is that a bad idea? This is all still new to me coming from bow hunting.
hogs are definitely tougher and I have not shot any with them, only experience is with deer, but they cannot take them when they are well placed

143 and 163 eldx's works awsome for me on 30 plus axis a year. Pics 162 eldx @ 3050 mv 463yards.
20220410_100945.jpg
20220410_100956.jpg

Recent Posts