Barns 130 grain for deer hunting

Joseph Bowden

Any thoughts on reloading these for deer and pig hunting out to 300 yards. Reloading my .300 win mag and getting 3500 fps.

Joe Termite

I used the 130 gr ttsx in my 300 rum last year and got lucky enough to see a good sized 10 point. With 104 gr of Reloader 25 the speed is between 3600-3650 from what the book says. Haven't chronoed it yet. Shot just behind the shoulder and a little on the high side. The deer ran about 40 yards and piled up. When I field dressed the animal the lunges were jello. Went to Barnes in NY when they talked about the lead ban. My brother and father use the 80 gr ttsx in their 243s on deer and love them. Haven't recovered any from game, my brother has and they look just like they do on the cover of the reloading book, the ones that have been fired of course.

Deer & pig were mentioned. I nailed a 230 lb Russian boar at about 160 yards with a 130gr TSX out of a 270Win. Leaves the barrel @ about 2900 fps. Hit about 1" above his heart, at slight diagonal; he was quartering away a little and on the move when I hit him. Knocked him quarterways, then he took a few steps and fell over DRT. Complete pass through. The exit hole was not huge, maybe 1.5". The bullet broke ribs on the way in and out. 1 lung gone. On the hit side there were a few blood splatters all the way up near his ear, so the impact was pretty dramatic.

I am trying to decide on weather to take the 270 or 243 on a premium deer hunt where there will likely be big bucks. And then between SST or TSX or plain old Hdy Interlocks...I have decent loads for all 3 in both cals, but the 243 is generally a more accurate shooter (or I am behind it). 85gr TSX leave at 3200 fps, 1" - 3" groups @ 300 yards. 270 shoots 3" - 5" at 300 with TSX, better with Hdy Interlocks. 243 is lighter and this is rugged country (High Sierras, X zone). This is an imporant hunt for me and I don't want to blow it by being underpowered with the 243 on a big one. Any thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts