168lrx 280ai or 284win in long action?

I didn't know lapua made 280 or 280ai brass?
They don't. I believe he is referring to the quality of brass overall.

Nosler brass is good stuff, and very uniform don't need to weight sort unless you buy different lots. Hornady is descent but nearly as uniform. I never had any issues with them, the last fine unless you are pushing them real hard.

Fire forming not worth the trouble when you can buy form correct head stamped brass now-a-days IMO

1 in 9 twist should stabilize 168-175 with no problems

Sorry was referring to brass choices between 280ai and 6.5x284 and 284 win

280 ai is a fireform, nosler or hornadyaffair right now

I tried like hell to get the 168 LRX to shoot in an 8 twist 7mag then a 8.5 twist 280 AI. 25" barrels on both, never got the results i wanted. Messed with seating depth, and various powders. I ended up switching to the Federal 160 Trophy Bonded Tip out of my 280 AI and have been very happy. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

So what kind of twist for the 168 plus? Looks like I Might going to shoot the 150s and be happy as opposed to chasing omething that won't stabilize

On the 150 front the ABLR works great for me .unfortunate nosler lied about the bc and soured everyone on it because it shoots well

I tried like hell to get the 168 LRX to shoot in an 8 twist 7mag then a 8.5 twist 280 AI. 25" barrels on both, never got the results i wanted. Messed with seating depth, and various powders. I ended up switching to the Federal 160 Trophy Bonded Tip out of my 280 AI and have been very happy. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.
Thanks for the info here. I like the looks of that trophy bonded tip bullet but at this time I'm focused on lead free bullets (Ca). The barnes site said 8 twist for the 168LRX.

Thanks for the info here. I like the looks of that trophy bonded tip bullet but at this time I'm focused on lead free bullets (Ca). The barnes site said 8 twist for the 168LRX.

No problem, sorry your state handicaps you!! Lol

8 twist for the LRX is what is recommended. However, note that it's a very long bullet for it's weight. If i remember right, it's nearly as long as the 180 bergers. Therefore, the 8 would be the very minimum i'd go if you wanna shoot the 168 LRX. I feel like my issues with it in the 280 AI were my 8.5 twist wasn't quite enough to properly stabilize it, especially at about 3000 fps.

No problem, sorry your state handicaps you!! Lol

8 twist for the LRX is what is recommended. However, note that it's a very long bullet for it's weight. If i remember right, it's nearly as long as the 180 bergers. Therefore, the 8 would be the very minimum i'd go if you wanna shoot the 168 LRX. I feel like my issues with it in the 280 AI were my 8.5 twist wasn't quite enough to properly stabilize it, especially at about 3000 fps.

As a side note. I had the same experience with the 127LRX in my 6.5-06 with 8.5 twist. They didn't tumble but I couldn't quite get MOA accuracy. I ended up sticking with the 120ttsx.

Any experiences on the quality of Remington or Winchester 280rem brass for fire forming 280ai? The Winchester I've found is nickel plated, which concerns me for some reason. Please share your experiences thanks!

David, I seem to remember someone waaay baack mentioning the lack of longevity and possible "flaking" off of the nickel Win. cases. That bothers me as well and I've NEVER reloaded any. Plinked w/ them just fine, just didn't reload them. YMVMV. Someone more knowledgeable might be able to expound further. Good luck.

With much hands on experience & understanding of how all the LRX bullets work, I would use the 139gr first & the 145gr as a second choice. 168 does not perform as well as the other two. You are welcome to PM me for more details.
Anyone shooting the 168 LRX in either of these cartridges?

My findings are similar to ^^^. I did have some good loads with the 145 LRX in both rifles. If you are dead set on a mono, I have heard good things about Hammer bullets, but no real experience.

Any experiences on the quality of Remington or Winchester 280rem brass for fire forming 280ai? The Winchester I've found is nickel plated, which concerns me for some reason. Please share your experiences thanks!

In my 280AI (original spec) I've been using winchester nickel plated 280 brass for years. No issues with fire forming and it has held up to several loadings.

I did try the 168 LRX in my 9.25 twist as a test, not even close to stabilizing (and they are waaay long for my Ruger M77 mag box). I've always used 140 or 150 barnes, lately using 145 LRX with extremely good results. RL22 has always shot very good in my rifle but I want to do some more experimenting with temp stable powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.