168lrx 280ai or 284win in long action?

Do a 284 Shehane. I built my F open rifle in that caliber. It's consistently 100-150fps faster than a standard 284 with the same barrel length. 3.5gr more powder than a std 284. I'm shooting 54gr H4831SC and a 183 SMK at 2850fps for fireforming. I'm shooting 57.5gr H4831SC with the same bullet at 2973fps for my target load. Both loaded in a long action 3.250" COAL. Keep in mind these velocities are out of a long barrel (32" Krieger). Only downside is does are expensive but Winchester brand 284 brass is good stuff.

I have a 1:9 26" Brux barrel on my .280 AI. I am shooting 3050fps 145gr Barnes LRX at 1/2MOA. Thought about the 168 LRX but they are LONG. I'm happy so far with the 145s.

So judging from the 280 crowd a lot of 150gr bullet weight

I need to experiment with the 168s more but I have struggled. I think I need to try a little jump as on the lands hasn't worked as well as anticipated

Got my 280AI barrel broken in and the weather went way south here in TN. Hope to get some initial numbers with the 175 Berger and RL-23 in Nolser brass in the next week or so.

More and more I'm liking the 280ai over the 284 based on the feedback here. I think I'll also get one more in the magazine with the 280ai. I just wonder about the longevity of the brass, both the nosler and the hornady.

Any experiences on the quality of Remington or Winchester 280rem brass for fire forming 280ai? The Winchester I've found is nickel plated, which concerns me for some reason. Please share your experiences thanks!

Any experiences on the quality of Remington or Winchester 280rem brass for fire forming 280ai? The Winchester I've found is nickel plated, which concerns me for some reason. Please share your experiences thanks!
I use Remington brass in three rifles.
7RM with 8-10 firings so far.
6.5SLR with up to 10 firings on some brass.
.300RUM with 7-8 firings and still working

Nosler and Hornady 280ai brass has been decent. It isn't lapua but you can sort and replace faster for less money still

In the end either caliber will suit you fine. Sometimes we are just splitting hairs, but thats why we are on here cause it is fun to have choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.