168 Berger VLD Shoulder Shot

3006savage

Does anyone have experience with the Berger hunting bullets being shot into the shoulder. They get good reviews on boiler house shots but how do they perform when hitting bone?

Last edited:
I shot a 130 pound doe through the shoulders at 112 yards with a 155 gr Berger VLD at 2750 fps from my 30X47 VLD and it exited and left a baseball size hole and you could see blood and lung tissue on the off side of where the deer was standing for 5 yards. The kicker is the deer ran 50 yards before it went down leaving very lettle blood trail from blood that was just leaking out because its lungs and heart looked like it had been run through a blender and truned into mush. I have a picture on here someplace.

Last edited:
I can't get the picture to load right. I am doing like I always do and it will not show up when I click the reply button.
1Shot_2006
1Shot_2006
1Shot_2006
1Shot_2006

Last edited:
Yes that is the one. I could not get it to load this morning for some reason.

I have been getting great results pushing a 168 30 cal vld 3000 fps out of my 300 wsm it made one hell of a hole in the deer i have shot. i shot one 190 pound buck at 40 yards and it droped in its tracks and the bullet passed tru, which i didnt expect since it was so close! the other 2 were at 150 and 275 yards tru the shoulders, Bang flop with pass tru's and massive damage.

I am sold on berger vlds for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.