Berger 168 VLD Bullet help

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Backcountrylongrangerifle, May 5, 2012.

1. Backcountrylongrangerifle

Backcountrylongrangerifle New Member

I have a 7mm stw that shoot the Berger VLD match grade bullets lights out. They are the older model witha bc of .643. I am out and can not find any anywhere. The new ones have a bc of .617. I measured the two and the older bullet is 20 thousands larger. Can anyone anser the following ?'s:
    1) What is the difference
    2) Will the new shoot the same as the old?
    3) Does anyone have any old ones they will sell?

Thanks

2. 7stw

7stw Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not know that there were two different bullets, with two different BC's. I think that the ones I have are the .617 BC. It could be that they discontinued the .643 BC, and all that is avail now is the 617bc. Interesting!

3. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

It could be the same bullet with an optimistic BC.

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

They are the same bullet, but Bryan Litz at Berger has done a ton of shooting and figuring to get a set of BC's that are actually very close to the true BC of the bullets!!! I suspect that the 20 thousandths in difference is due to different lots. Are you measuring with a comparator that measures off the shoulder or from the tip. You should always measure from the shoulder and I check every lot and sometimes I have to adjust my OAL to compensate. I use the new BC's to figure long range data and tweak the velocity to match drops.

5. Backcountrylongrangerifle

Thanks, I am hoping that they are the same bullet. I was measuring the overall length. I have an email in to them and I plan to give them a call later on. I just did not want to spend 50.00 on bullets that were not the same. I will post what i find out

6. Backcountrylongrangerifle

Talked to Bryan this morning. Bullets are the same. The BC is just a moire accurate number. No change has been made to the bullet design.... case closed. Thanks to all the responses