168 Berger VLD 7 STW

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Blacktail, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Blacktail

Blacktail Well-Known Member

I have used the 160 accubonds and the 140 tsx's but thinking bout giving these a try. any suggestions? I have a bunch of H1000 and H4831. My STW is a Remington with 26" Shilen. I hear they can be finicky on the seating depth. I have a box mag so could be hindered a bit.

2. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

I have a model 700 with an unaltered box magazine formerly 7 Rem Mag now, 7 STW. Gave the 168 VLDs a try. If they shot well I was going to get a Wyatt's extended box mag. I got so so results single loading with bullets close to the rifling. Just for the heck of it I seated them to fit and feed from the existing magazine as a last ditch effort. Much to my surprise with an approx. .170" jump they shot bugholes! Load: Moly coated 168 Berger VLD, Fed 215 match, Rem brass, 82.5 gr of RL-25 for vel of 3200 when temps are lower than 65 degrees.

You don't know what a rifle likes till you try them.

3. Blacktail

Blacktail Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking bout just seating them to where they just fit in the mag box like I did my 160 accubonds. I am just a bit nervous for close shots inside of 100yards but they say they are holding up.

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

How fast can you get that VLD going in your rifle?

It sounds like your load is a near max at hunting temperatures?

I'm attempting to gather info on VLD performance above 3200.........

5. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

I didn't push past the powder charge I used. I did get closer to 3250 when developing the load but it was over 80 degrees, so I quit, happy with the accuracy. Remember this is with a moly coated bullet. I seem to remember the early videos made by Best of the West had their 7 STW going around 3200, I do not know if they used moly. My best recollection was that their barrel was 26" as is mine.

I would have used the 180 VLD but the twist on the factory Rem barrel is too slow.

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

AZshooter,

Thanks......