165 SGK bthp help please..

Smokepoles

Pretty sure I have a bad batch of game kings, can anyone give me an ogive length in either a 300 wsm or 30.06 case please? max saami 300 wsm length is 2.860, in a minimum headspaced case they are on the lands at coal of 2.768 or less. I loaded some at 2.755 coal this morning (checked fit with dummy round before leaving), went to the range and 8 out of 32 I made for a ladder test successfully closed in the chamber.
Rifles a tikka, as usual everything else I feed it can be seated fairly long. I'm about stumped on this one.
With the hornady comparator on a min headspace dummy round at 2.755 I am measuring the ogive at 2.28. Thanks anyone that may be able to help.

I can tell you I have to load them very short IN any of my guns to keep them out of the Lands. I can also tell you that I'm a big fan of Hornadys headspace measuring tool kit. But I hated the couple of bullet comperators I bought to go with the kit. I get crazy variances with the Hornady tool versus the Sinclair "nut" which has the holes drilled with a taper that more closely resembles what happens with real rifling.

Thanks. The oal gauge works great, I picked up the comparator on my way home from the range to try to better see what was going on, not sure if it's worth it's weight or not.. I'll try to seat one in my 06 when I get it back together and I'd imaging I'll duplicate the results. In the wsm, they are already too deep in the case for my liking. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

Don't give up on them without shooting a few. They've been amazingly accurate in just about any 308 caliber gun I've tried em in. Never took an animal though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.