140grn or 156grn

With that said I'd run the 140's I run the 156 Berger's in a 6.5 Sherman short but I can load them to 3.07 coal. Which allows me to seat them far enough out to where it's not impending in to the case and loosing capacity.

As stated, it somewhat depends on your mag length. On one hand I found them to not care much about seating depth in two different rifles, from .005" off to .110 or so off, didn't make much difference. However it will affect useable case capacity. If you run ballistics, they are very very close, with the 156 beating out the 140's in wind drift and energy. At 1000 it is a difference of a few inches of drift and maybe a couple hundred ft-lbs, not enough to make a substantial difference, but a difference nonetheless.

I prefer the 156's, even running them seated .060" off in my rifle, however I also have 400-500 of them on hand. Right now.....whichever one you run into first is what I would go with.

As stated, it somewhat depends on your mag length. On one hand I found them to not care much about seating depth in two different rifles, from .005" off to .110 or so off, didn't make much difference. However it will affect useable case capacity. If you run ballistics, they are very very close, with the 156 beating out the 140's in wind drift and energy. At 1000 it is a difference of a few inches of drift and maybe a couple hundred ft-lbs, not enough to make a substantial difference, but a difference nonetheless.

I prefer the 156's, even running them seated .060" off in my rifle, however I also have 400-500 of them on hand. Right now.....whichever one you run into first is what I would go with.
I single feed anyway

I run the 142 and 156 in my 29" 1-8" twist 264WM, custom throat and chamber, the 156 only bested the 142 beyond 1000 according to my ballistic app at my home range altitude. My dopes were a little ways off, but not drastically. Still working on the 156's, powder is hard to get here too, and it's made just down the road from my range!
The 142 shoots flatter inside a 1000.
It really depends on what velocity your barrel is capable of. I should have ordered a 30" barrel to squeeze every bit out of it, alas I didn't.
I like to be above 3000fps with any bullets I run, and the 156 is only just above this @ 3028fps with Retumbo. Hoping to get above 3100fps with a different powder.

Cheers.

I run the 142 and 156 in my 29" 1-8" twist 264WM, custom throat and chamber, the 156 only bested the 142 beyond 1000 according to my ballistic app at my home range altitude. My dopes were a little ways off, but not drastically. Still working on the 156's, powder is hard to get here too, and it's made just down the road from my range!
The 142 shoots flatter inside a 1000.
It really depends on what velocity your barrel is capable of. I should have ordered a 30" barrel to squeeze every bit out of it, alas I didn't.
I like to be above 3000fps with any bullets I run, and the 156 is only just above this @ 3028fps with Retumbo. Hoping to get above 3100fps with a different powder.

Cheers.
I got RL22 H1000 IMR7828ssc and N570 so I got a wide selection

I also like to stay about 3200fps in my hand loads. If I can't achieve that I move on to a different bullet and powder. Or I reduce the bullet weight to pick up the velocity. At the same time grouping is a major part too.

Love the .264. I have one as well, custom LR comp gun. Best I can squeeze out of a 28" barrel is about 2950 with IMR 7828ssc pushing a Sierra Mk 140.

For targets, its plenty at 1000 yards, and I can smack an 8" steel plate. Not sure if your intent is hunting at that distance, but its probably not carrying enough energy to do a whole lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.