.280 or ??

Zeus,

That is the exact same load I have been shooting for the last 2 seasons (in a WW case with PMC LR primers). I have killed 11 deer with that combination from 112 to 326 yards, including 5 does with head shots. My rifle is a McMillan Signature with a 24" barrel contoured like a Remington Magnum Sporter mounting a 3.5-10x40 Leupold VX3 with CDS elevation and windage turrets. It shoots very well (sub 1" at 200 yards).

To the original poster - I have been shooting that rifle as my "go to" deer rifle since 1988. The .280 is an excellent round. Like one of the other poster's said "7mm on a lengthened 06 case, what is not to like?"

Dan

It isn't as pretty as Zeus', but it delivers. :)

Glasscock2011010c.jpg

Kentucky111711Bsmall.jpg

Nice deer! I think you should definitely have the 270 rebarreled. I would go with the 280AI. I have one on a howa1500 and love it! I wouldn't have anything else for all round big game hunting, tho it is a little on the big side for whitetail in my opinion. With a 168 beger, it is hell on wheels at long range and its all I'll ever need for elk and moose. The. Ackley rivals the rem mag in velocity but case life is the biggest perk over the standard. Anything 7mm is a fine choice with the 280 and the unbelted magnums at the top of the list for big game!

I really like the 280 Remington and don't think you could possibly go wrong getting it or the 280 AI. Me personally I'd probably just stay with the 280 as is. It's that good, but the 280 AI sure is appealing to.

I loaded 140 gr. Partitions in my 280 which was a Remington Mountain rifle with the 22" barrel. If I had one made or could buy one, I would get the 24" barrel. I shot my largest elk with that rifle and load at 250 yards. I hit him twice behind the shoulder although one was enough. He took about 3 steps and dropped. One Partition exited and the second was stuck under the hide on the off-side. The bull was a 6x6 that had a 43" inside spread and 53" main beams, so he was not a small bull either!

The 140 gr. Accubond or Partition or the 160 gr. Partition or Accubond would be my bullets of choice for all my game animals too! Great bullets in this wonderful cartridge. Good luck on your choice.
David

Thanks for the comments guys.
Alright, so I'm going 280 on this one. What is the smallest barrel that you'd put in a Sendero contour stock. I have a HS I could use for this project. Anybody have a #4 or #5 in one of these. How does it ride? I was going to just put in a Sendero contour, but have been reading about light weight stuff has got me thinking.
Thoughts?

Good choice with the 280 one of my fave cartridges. I have used it to kill mule and whitetail deer Black bear and moose. I like the 140 ab for deer and the 160 ab for bigger stuff. With 160 class bullets look to IMR 7828 the speeds you will get will suprise you in a 24" tube. Depends on how much weight you would want to haul around. If it was me I would go with the 26" sendero contour but I would not be carrying it around too much so I would not be too worried about weight. You can load over 58,000 psi as well in a bolt but not in a semi or a pump so the sammi listed pressure is a bit out of whack with what the case can handle in a modern bolt action rifle in good working condition.

Oh boy are you going to like that 280

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts