CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM-

Start with a G1 of .700 then adjust from there with the 160 Matrix, I started at .650 and I'd have to run up in the 3300fps range to even make part of the trajectory come out but there is no way that the Sherman case will push them that fast. I'm going to work on a G7 BC soon and that should really dial them in.
The BC on these have not been inflated by anyone because so few have shot it, the only data on them right now is from people who have shot it and are trying to see what it will do, I know what it takes to make the trajectory from our rifles tight at 100-600,800,1030,1350 and 1450 yards that's it, no inflating just shooting working from .650 up to where we ended up, that's why I want to see some other guys shoot them so we get more info and experience.
I'm going to go through the same process with the 140 CE and see what happens, I did a seating depth check and I can seat them and I dont' touch the throat or anything so they will seat well in the case so I should see some accuracy with them and should be over 3200fps which could be interesting!

....I'm going to go through the same process with the 140 CE and see what happens, I did a seating depth check and I can seat them and I dont' touch the throat or anything so they will seat well in the case so I should see some accuracy with them and should be over 3200fps which could be interesting!

Thanks, I will start with .700 (if they stabilize). I was pretty bummed out with the G10's not stabilizing, with any luck the 160's will put a grin on my face.

t

If they are indeed a .7 BC, that would be awesome. I hope they are. I'll be testing them here in a couple of months as well and will be shooting them over a 1000 yd chrono. That should help fine tune the G7.

Sounds like an interesting way ruin a perfectly good chronograph! :D

I'm chompin' at the bit to test these....

t

A short update, I shot 8 140 CE's at the shoot in Townsend over an Oehler 35 with a Magneto speed also strapped on and they showed some very good signs though nothing was shot at paper. I had them loaded over the same load I use for other 140 bullet in my 6.5 SS, they ran an average of 3140fps which is 37fps slower than other 140s which I expected because of design and a touch more powder would bring them up. Shots over the crony at 200 meters yielded a nice tight group, I shot what did not go over the cronies at 752 yards and they were right in there with the other bullet I had loaded, did not see any weirdness. The numbers and shooting was interesting enough I'll work up a load and put them on paper till they destabilize or fall in the dirt gun)

A short update, I shot 8 140 CE's at the shoot in Townsend over an Oehler 35 with a Magneto speed also strapped on and they showed some very good signs though nothing was shot at paper. I had them loaded over the same load I use for other 140 bullet in my 6.5 SS, they ran an average of 3140fps which is 37fps slower than other 140s which I expected because of design and a touch more powder would bring them up. Shots over the crony at 200 meters yielded a nice tight group, I shot what did not go over the cronies at 752 yards and they were right in there with the other bullet I had loaded, did not see any weirdness. The numbers and shooting was interesting enough I'll work up a load and put them on paper till they destabilize or fall in the dirt gun)

That's really good news, thak you for the update. I am looking forward to your results.

t

Loaded 15 rounds of the CEB 140's under 57gr of H4831 in my 6.5 SS loaded at a 3.010 COAL, shot them all over a Magneto speed at 100, 600, 1030 and 1320 yards average velocity was 3147 with an ES of 24fps. All that hit paper were nice round holes, over dialed and shot most just over the top of the target, definitely stable in the 1-8 twist Benchmark!

Station pressure was 24.56 and temp was 84 degrees. My trajectory matches very well on a .306 G7 BC but I need to put all shots on paper now to refine that number, I guessed a lower BC and it looked like I was on paper but I only caught a few that were at the top, there was a nice group in the dirt behind the target a ways but that doesn't do much good.

I've got another 15 or so to shoot but I think I may get my hands on some more for hunting season, of all the copper bullets I've shot these are the one's that I like the most and I'd like to get them on game to see if that will hold true for terminal performance as well. I also noticed very little copper fowling, which makes me happy, happy, happy!

Loaded 15 rounds of the CEB 140's under 57gr of H4831 in my 6.5 SS loaded at a 3.010 COAL, shot them all over a Magneto speed at 100, 600, 1030 and 1320 yards average velocity was 3147 with an ES of 24fps. All that hit paper were nice round holes, over dialed and shot most just over the top of the target, definitely stable in the 1-8 twist Benchmark!

Station pressure was 24.56 and temp was 84 degrees. My trajectory matches very well on a .306 G7 BC but I need to put all shots on paper now to refine that number, I guessed a lower BC and it looked like I was on paper but I only caught a few that were at the top, there was a nice group in the dirt behind the target a ways but that doesn't do much good.

I've got another 15 or so to shoot but I think I may get my hands on some more for hunting season, of all the copper bullets I've shot these are the one's that I like the most and I'd like to get them on game to see if that will hold true for terminal performance as well. I also noticed very little copper fowling, which makes me happy, happy, happy!

What twist barrel are you shooting these from?

Thanks BNG, I was pretty optimistic that they would stabilize in the 1-8. Mine was just a half twist too slow :D. I was happy with the on game performance of the 130's & i'd be willing to bet the 140's will fair even better.

What twist barrel are you shooting these from?

1-8"

t

Last edited:
If this bullet turns out to have a bc somewhere in the range of the 140 AMAX and 140 Berger, and stabilizes in an 8 twist, I might have to give it a try. It would be nice to eliminate having a short range load and a long range load.

I will be following your progress with great interest!

If this bullet turns out to have a bc somewhere in the range of the 140 AMAX and 140 Berger, and stabilizes in an 8 twist, I might have to give it a try. It would be nice to eliminate having a short range load and a long range load.

I will be following your progress with great interest!

You don't need two bullets with the 140 Berger, shot piles of game with them from spitting distance to the 600 yards range and they are flawless.

You don't need two bullets with the 140 Berger, shot piles of game with them from spitting distance to the 600 yards range and they are flawless.

That's good to know. With my .264WM, I have worked up a 140g Partition load for use to 400 yards or so and had planned to use AMAX's or Bergers beyond that. If I can just use Bergers, I would prefer to do that. I just bought the rifle last year and haven't taken any game with it yet, so I don't have any first hand experience to gauge terminal performance.

Given that it has a 9 twist, I couldn't use the CEB's in it anyway. That will have to wait for the next barrel. My 6.5-284 has an 8 twist, though, and could be a candidate for the CEB's.

With the excellent experience you have had with the Bergers, what is your expected application for the CEB's? Put another way, what sort of advantage are you looking for from the CEB's?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.