12" twist 22-250

I shoot 53 grainers in a 12 twist. Based on manufacturer data, the 60's should be marginal (may not stabilize). I'm going to an 8 twist to shoot 75 grainers for the 400+ yard p-dogs in that Montana wind.

Yes. Up to about 64 grains or so. My 14 twist stabilized Hornady 60 grain spire points. It just didn't shoot them very accurately. Here are some bullets in that weight range with the manufacturer suggested minimum twist:

Berger 60g varmint bullet: 12 twist

Nosler 60g Partition: 12 twist

Nosler 64g Bonded: 14 twist

Nosler 60g Ballistic Tip: 10 twist

Hornady 60g VMAX: 12 twist

Hornady 60g Spire Point: 14 twist

Sierra 60g Varminter: 14 twist

Sierra 63g Semi-Pointed: 14 twist

Sierra 65g Game King: 10 twist

Note that twist requirements can vary widely with both bullet weight and design. I didn't include monometal copper bullets. That changes things completely. Bottom line: Do your homework for each individual bullet type that you want to shoot.

the 12 twist will do a B/C of about .28. I've shot Hornaday and Sierra 60 grain bullets. I got 5/8th's inch groups with virtually no load development. On the other hand I can shoot .30" groups with 55 grain Vmax bullets that have a B/C of .25. With a ten twist barrel, I think the 60 grain bullets would have been well under a half inch.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.