FAST TWIST 22-250

Clay Target Guy

I just bought a Tikka 22-250 sporter with a 1-8 twist barrel. I am looking to use Hornady 75 gr ELD bullets, but have not loaded for a 22-250 in about 40 years.
Does anyone have suggestions on primers and powder that have produced well out of this combo?

Thanks
Oh one more thing and I don't know if this matters, but I am at approx 400 ft BSL.

Will check them out, at least that is a start.
I did buy 200 pieces of Prvi Partizan brass. From the reviews I read it seemed to be good stuff but I have no first hand experience with it.

I put a Broughton barrel on my 22-250 with 1-8 5R rifling. Using Berger 70 grain VLD, I started out with 33.5 grains of H-380 and 32 grains of RL-15. First group with H-380 was .256 and the first group with the RL-15 was .331. I am going to continue to play with some different powder charges, but for the time being it looks like those two powders will be where I start my experiment. The groups are hundred yard groups.
I am using the Redding competition dies, Federal large rifle primers and Nosler brass. The bullets were seated .010 off the lands.

Superformance works great with 75 ELD. I shoot 40.3 of superformance over the 75 grain ELD in my Savage. 41 is book Max.

Hello,

Thank you for the info that Tikka is selling 22-250 rifles in 1-8 twist! I'll be picking one up.

Okay my Coyote gun is a 22-250 I am at about 4200 FASL, in the high dessert of Nevada. My gun has a slower twist rate but here is it's favorite meal. 50 to 60 grain Nosler or Berger bullets, W-760/H414 powder and Winchester magnum rifle primers in Winchester cases(a gift from a friend). I also stumbled on 60 grain Nosler varmagedon, CFE 223, WMR Primers in Hornady and Nosler cases. I have to prep the cases like this: trim to maximum length after initial firing, neck ream the cases, uniform the primer pockets, uniform the flash holes, and no crimp. this gives me a maximum group of 1" at 300 yards. I do not use 100 yards for testing. it has to be a minimum of 200 yards. I like 300 yards to test at.

Ok, all my reloading stuff came in so I have loaded up some R15, IMR4831, and H414.I had to use WLRP as I did not have any Federal, or CCI LRP's, but the Winchester's are the old school white box silver color primers and I have had good luck with them in the past.
I am surprised that published load data for heavier bullets is a little hard to find for the 22-250.
It will be a few days before I can get these shot and report back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.