FAST TWIST 22-250

The heavier bullets are a more recent development! You can find scads of data in the lighter weights. They need some time to R and D and get data out.
The more makers that start making heavier ones will help..Competition!

I use 31-32gr AR Comp with 69gr TMKs and 75gr Gold Dots. I average 3200 for the TMKs and 3100 with the 75gr GD's. Rifle is a 22" Ruger American made for Whittakers.

My fire forming load with my AI is a max load of RL15 with a 69gr SMK, fills them right out and is extremely accurate. This is built on a Savage 12 FV. Don't see why it wouldn't work well with the plain 22-250 also.

I've tried plenty of powders with the 22-250, both 8 and 12 twists. CFE223 is another great powder for heavier bullets.

I just bought a Tikka 22-250 sporter with a 1-8 twist barrel. I am looking to use Hornady 75 gr ELD bullets, but have not loaded for a 22-250 in about 40 years.
Does anyone have suggestions on primers and powder that have produced well out of this combo?

Thanks
Oh one more thing and I don't know if this matters, but I am at approx 400 ft BSL.
I tried all types of powders and in my case the most accurate and highest velocity was 4895.

OK went and shot this yesterday, I loaded up some R15, H414, and Super-performance. Due to time and shooting some other guns I only had time to shoot the R15. I loaded up 32.9 gr, 33.2, and 33.5 gr to try. All gave really good ES and SD's and vel. was not bad either.
the 32.9 gr load was 3189 average, with an ES of 25 and a SD of 13, the groups size was right at 13/16". The next load of 33.2, turned in a 3220 (best I can remember, I forgot my notes) with a ES of 15 and SD of 8 group size shrank to .6 (once again best I can remember without my notes). Last up was the 33.5 load, which turned in a 3258 average vel. with an ES of 9 and a SD of 4! groups size shrank again to a .5" group. I could not see any pressure signs but need to go back and look at the brass one more time. I do feel that the 33.5 may be getting close to max as the bolt did feel a little (very little) more stiff that the 33.2 load, but to be fair, I did forget to put the 33.5 load in the shade while the barrel cooled from shooting the other shots and it was 95 deg. here yesterday. When I went to shoot the 33.5 loads, the barrel was cool but the rounds were hot.
Hope to get back to the range with the other loads and give them a try (since I already have them loaded up) but I think R15 is going to be a tuff act to follow. I feel I could tighten the groups a little by paying with bullet seating depths.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.