1-12 twist 22-250

gohring3006

What's the heaviest bullet you guys think i could run in a Savage 1-12? What bullets and powders are you liking in this setup?
Thanks..

Sorry I can't help with the heaviest bullet. My Savage FVSS shoots Sierra 55gr Gamekings (1365) and 36.0gr of Varget really well.

I have successfully used the 69 SMK from my 12 twist 22-250 using Superformance. I am also developing a load with RL-17, though I expect it to be a bit slower than the Superformance load. The SMK is right on the edge of stability, though, so I wouldn't expect it to work in all conditions.

The 53 VMAX and 55 SBK will give you the best combination of velocity and bc in all conditions. I have had excellent results with IMR 8208 XBR and the 53 VMAX during initial development. I will also be working with CFE 223, Varget, and RL-17.

I have successfully used the 69 SMK from my 12 twist 22-250 using Superformance. I am also developing a load with RL-17, though I expect it to be a bit slower than the Superformance load. The SMK is right on the edge of stability, though, so I wouldn't expect it to work in all conditions.

The 53 VMAX and 55 SBK will give you the best combination of velocity and bc in all conditions. I have had excellent results with IMR 8208 XBR and the 53 VMAX during initial development. I will also be working with CFE 223, Varget, and RL-17.
I would be interested in your results. I noticed the velocity is up there with the CFE 223 in my manual. I have some RL 17 also 4064. I think the 55-60 gr. Bullet Is where im going to be safe..

BTW, this is a Savage Axis 1-12 heavy barrel. I took it out of the box and took a coil and a half off the trigger spring it went from 6-7 pounds to about 3.5. I took it to the range to zero the scope and break barrel in with factory ammo. This thing shot a little under a inch. I know with a good load work up it will be good to go.lol

I took it to the range to zero the scope and break barrel in with factory ammo. This thing shot a little under a inch. I know with a good load work up it will be good to go.lol

That is pretty typical with factory ammo in 22-250 IME. The typical leade in a 22-250 chamber tends to give quite a bit of freebore. In both 22-250 barrels I have had, the most accurate seating depth settled in around 2.430, which shrank groups dramatically. In both barrels, distance to the rifling with 50-55 grain bullets was around 2.5 OAL base-to-tip.

I would be interested in your results. I noticed the velocity is up there with the CFE 223 in my manual. I have some RL 17 also 4064. I think the 55-60 gr. Bullet Is where im going to be safe..

I am anticipating the high accuracy node will come in around 3900 with CFE 223 and 3950 with RL-17 from a 26" barrel, with IMR 8208 XBR and Varget coming in around 3800 or so.

That is pretty typical with factory ammo in 22-250 IME. The typical leade in a 22-250 chamber tends to give quite a bit of freebore. In both 22-250 barrels I have had, the most accurate seating depth settled in around 2.430, which shrank groups dramatically. In both barrels, distance to the rifling with 50-55 grain bullets was around 2.5 OAL base-to-tip.
thanks benchracer, this is very good info..
The good about the Axis is its a long action with a .308 length mag. So there should be plenty of room.

BTW, this is a Savage Axis 1-12 heavy barrel. I took it out of the box and took a coil and a half off the trigger spring it went from 6-7 pounds to about 3.5. I took it to the range to zero the scope and break barrel in with factory ammo. This thing shot a little under a inch. I know with a good load work up it will be good to go.lol

a twelve twist barrel is limited to bullets under a .275B/C. A .255 or .26 B/C seem to really work well.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.