110g. V-max's out of a 308win. ?????????

coyotewallace

110g. V-max\'s out of a 308win. ?????????

I am interested in any info someone might be able to offer up. Thought I would give them a try out of my 700 LVSF just to see what ground hogs an Yote's though of them.

Re: 110g. V-max\'s out of a 308win. ?????????

I've got a buddy that shoots them in his patrole carbine
(Springfield Socom II) I've seen a few dogs shot within 100yds with them and it makes a hell of a hole !!
they shoot supprisingly accurate out of this gun , they are factory loaded TAP rounds from Hornady.
I've heard several other guys say they got decient results with them out of 30-06's.

Coyotewallace, my friend uses the 110 V-Max in his 308 varmint rig. The bullet is very destructive on squirrel, PDogs, coyotes, ect. He is pushing the 110 V-Max at around 2750 to 2800fps out of his 24" barrel. His rifle is pretty much a stock Remington 700 VLS, he has only added an H&S Tactical stock and a trigger job. His groups are right around 3/4's to 1" at 100 yards. He will be taking this rifle on our varmint hunt in May 2007, so he just ordered 800, 110 V-Max bullets for the trip. We are going to have a RED MIST PARTY, I can't wait!

Wildcat

Same but different, I am using the 110gr SP's from Hornady(same but different + all the store had in 110gr LOL) in my 26" 300 WM Heavy Barrel and in development so far I have gotten them up to 3050fps and I am only half way up to max. The Hornady book says that I should get 3700 out of them but I can expect to hit 3700 a grain or two off of max due to my barrel being over 2" longer than the test barrel....I am hoping to get out this fall/winter and drop a yote or two with this load and my 150gr NBT loads I am working up now.

Wallace, interesting you should ask. I'm in the process of working up loads with them now in a Remington Milspec 308. Preliminary loads with Varget & 4064 were well under an inch. Factory 110 gr Hornady TAP loads shot well too. An acquaintance shot some 'yotes with 110s last winter & they were thru-n-thru out past 200.

I thought about making a 30BR, shooting 110grain V-max or 125 grain Speer hollow points at 3000fps.

But Im not sure if this is better on smaller varmints then a coyote, compared to a 223 or 22-250 shooting 50 grains at 35-3800 fps.

At ranges out to 300 yards, wich would you choose? Max carnage is what Im after!

A hunting partner of mine had a 308V that he hunting yotes with using the Sierra 110g HP. He shot a max load of H322w with unreal accuracy and velocity. The accuracy node in his rifle was at the Max that his rifle would take with 322.

I shot another load in many 308's that I have had and also with friends that is a hands down winner that I will share with you. This load has been magic in every rifle that I have tried it in, Mossberg, Remington, and Ruger.

The load is using a 125g Nosler Ballistic tip or a 135g Sierra Single shot pistol bullet, any brand of brass that you want to try, Fed 210's, and between 49.5 and 52.0g of 748. The accuracy you will not believe. In the 700's that I had, the velocity was between 3100-3200 fps and in most of the 308's that I have shot this load in, the accuracy was at a max load for that particular rifle.

Winchester brass is much tougher than Remington brass, and PMC brass is even better.

We shot a ton of jackrabbits with this load, the bullet detonates a jackrabbit...rabbit will be scattered for 75 feet. If you just get a piece of a coyote, it will kill him. I shot the entire *** end off a coyotes as he came running into the call...I did not leade him quite enough. It is normal to shoot a 6" hole in a coyote when this bullet hits a coyote square in the ribs on a broadside shot.

52.0g of 748 will leade to a slighyly compressed load which is ok.

Good luck!

Thanks thats good info. What powders I have on had are the RL15. RL22,IRM 4227

The only data for these that I have found is RL15 between 46-50g
IRM4227 @ 32G 2835FPS
I have not tested any of these but I probley won't use 32g of 4227 I just like more vol. of powder in my cases.

Anyone elses imput would be great as well

Chuck

The 4227 is way to fast and the R#22 is way to slow with the R#15 being about right in burning rate for the 110's.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.