30-06 110gr V-Max "Black Bear"

Greg Duerr

My son is new to reloading. His Grandfather died and left him his old 30-06. Now my son last year wanted me to teach him to reload so I walked him through reloading for my .243 and told him to just do the same with his 30-06. Pick a good bullet and you wont have any problem when you go Bear Hunting this fall.
He called me and sent me pictures of the nice Bore Black Bear he shot. Of course I asked him where he hit it and how far it ran. I asked what bullet you used and he just told me the Hornady one with the red tip. Come to find out it was the 110gr V-Max. I told him that was Hornady's Varmint bullet. He said "They make a Varmint bullet for a 30-06??

So for Christmas Im giving my son 100 165gr Nosler Accubonds all loaded up with 58gr of H4350. I hope he notices a difference next year.

G

Last edited:
It will be a good Christmas Present.......................and when I see him next I will give him a little lesson on Bullet Selection. However, I have a feeling that from now on when he does reload again for his 3006 it will be with the 165 Accubonds.

Your so right.....................My son thought that only Varmint Cartridges shot varmint bullets had no idea that you could buy varmint bullets for the 30-06 For years my son shot his .223 and 52gr Calhoon Bubble Butts. He never hunted big game not until he got older. .

Last edited:
So for Christmas Im giving my son 100 165gr Nosler Accubonds all loaded up with 58gr of H4350. I hope he notices a difference next year.

G
My favorite 30-06 load is a 165/168gr bullet over 58.0gr H4350. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I have not shot game with those 165gr Accubond bullets yet but I will soon... Good present alright!

My son just got back from Deer Hunting with his Father-in-Law in Northern Nevada. Caleb did not have a Deer tag but he came home pretty excited. I guess they saw lots of Deer and lots of Bucks everyday. He said that his Father in law did not want to hunt in the higher rimrock country where the bigger bucks live, to much hiking. So between his love for Black Bear Hunting and his new excitement for Mule Deer Hunting the 165gr Accubond's will come in handy.

I have not tried it a 30-06, but the 110 gr Vmax in a 308 with light powder charge will typically the most accurate load in an unknown 308 rifle.

Some high master at Camp Perry may say 155 gr Palma or 168 gr match king, but for the average shooter, the 110 gr Vmax will make the best group at 100 yards.

Years ago on my first Mule Deer hunt in the Monitor Range of Nevada one of the guys up there used a Custom 22-250 and shot a really nice buck. The next two years the same thing and Im sure he never felt under gunned. Years later I shot a Buck with my 22-250 and then shot a really nice 4x4 with my .222 46gr Calhoon bullet and on the First shot down he went. If I had not said anything I would guess that my Son would have used the 110 for Deer and another Black Bear. My Step Dad used a 110gr in his .270 for years and harvest a lot of Bucks..........................You just never know. Harold used what worked for him, however on an Elk Hunt he was talked into using the 130

My first experience with the 110 vmax was on a medium size boar raccoon I trapped in my barn. I had just gotten my MRC1999 in 300 WSM built and decided to try some varmint bullets just for kicks.

I took the coon outside, stepped back about 15 yards and shot it behind the front shoulder with a full house load expecting a red mist type result. Instantly a cloud of dust formed around the critter much like kicking a full vacuum cleaner bag as the coon's pelt was full of barn dust and dirt. To my surprise, the bullet didn't exit and I had a hard time finding an entrance hole.

I had a good hoot over my new found fur load. I'm sure the 110 vmax will drop a deer or black bear with a broadside lung shot but I think you are right in recommending a more traditional bullet weight for medium game:D

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts