10X for 7mm mag?

ukenout

I'm in the final stages of bedding/accurizing my rem 700, 7mm mag. I will be purchasing a scope in the next few days, and was wondering if a straight 10X mildot would be adequate for long range shhoting/hunting with my rifle setup? Any other suggestions?

The only thing I don't like about a fixed 10x is that there's no lower power, with a wider field of view, for times when you're walking to your hunt area and suddenly the big buck springs up 40 yards away... A 10x scope makes that a difficult proposition.

Otherwise, even for longish range shooting, yeah a 10x can be a very good scope. You thinking about the Super Sniper? A couple of my buddies have those on their match/competition rifles and swear by them. Lots of scope for a mere $300...

A 3.5-10x Leupold makes a nice compromise, plenty of power at 10x for some longer range shooting, and yet you can dial it down to 3.5x for modest ranges and taking on moving targets. I do like fixed power scopes, but usually in 6x or 4x for general purpose hunting.

Regards, Guy

If it were me I would put a 6.5x20 leupold scope on the rifle, IMO 10x is not enough.
Drags

well, I'm in the process of doing the same thing with a 7mm RM in a Rem 700. I just recently bought a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 Mil-Dot for it. I like it so far, and in preliminary testing the adjustments are good and repeatable. I chose it over the Bushnell 3200 10x40 mil-dot, mainly just because I like the caps for the turrents and the 4.5 low end seems to be better for a long range sporter, which is what I think of this rifle as. If you don't plan on shooting anything closer than about 100 - 150 yards in a hurry, I think the 10x is just fine.

now have two scope choices

Ok, i've now got two scopes sitting on my project desk. My original question was to use a 10x scope for my Rem 700 , 7mm rem mag. Well I also have a Savage Tactical which currently wears a Weaver V16 4-16X42. I think I could take the Weaver and put it on my 7mm mag and put the 10X Super Sniper scope I got on the .308 Savage Tactical.

I was hoping to use the mil dot system on the 7mm mag, but since many of you suggest more magnification for the 7mm I thought of making a scope switch.

How do these setups sound?

I think you're going to like the 4-16 on your 7mm mag hunting rifle and the 10x Super Sniper is a very good choice for a tactical rifle. Sounds good to me!

BTW - I was recently hunting mulies - had actually hoped for a longish range shot with my .25-06, and it is setup with a 4.5-14x scope. Was glassing one buck about 350 yards away, and another nice one stepped out at about 30 yards. I was glad that I had the 4.5x on my scope, as it allowed me to easily make the short-range shot.

Regards, Guy

ukenout,

From my most recent, actually first long range hunting adventure, here's my answer to your question. I'll ramble a bit but hang in there the "truth" will come out.

I took two rifles 1 a 338 RUM carry gun w/a 4.5-14 Weaver Tactical /mil dot reticle. The other rifle is a 270 Allen Mag w/a 16X Super Sniper. This one is for shooting long from the "hide". Not a carry gun.

I was not able to use the 270 AM for the most important parts of the day. Early morning and late evening. Just not enough light. The SS served me well up to that point as I did all of my shooting during the day. When in the really big mountains, like where I was, one side of the hill or the other is in the shade at one time or another. The "fixed" high power scope is useless. This was a big learning thing for me.

On the other hand the Weaver was wonderful. I feel I could make long shots even on 4.5 power. The scope was useful until long afer the eyes couldn't see any more.

It was too bad that a my inexperience had the wrong scope on the right rifle.

Immediately upon returning home, I switched scopes. The Weaver Tactical is on the AM and the SS is on the RUM (just for looks though). This will keep me going though this winter for the yote shooting.

I also immediately began a search for a good long range hunting Mil Dot or MOA retical in 6.5-20 50 or 56mm w/o busting the bank. The only other requirement is that the reticle MUST be in the front focal plane as is the Weaver. This will go on the Allen Mag, the Weaver will go back on the RUM and the 16X SS will go on a 6BR that will be built one of these days.

Additionally a fixed high power scope is a pain in the rear, enough so to miss shot opportunities, when shifting from the spotting scope to the gun for the shot. For me, there isn't enough field of view to quickly make the transistion. This was unexpected and was a real problem and valuable time was lost every time the transition was attempted. With the good quality variable powered scope the transition was straight forward and quick. In fact after practicing I don't think I would have turned the power of the Weaver Tactical much above 8, where it was set to make initial sight contact, to make a shot at a large game animal.

I was exactly where you are and you can see what I did. However, with some actual experience under my belt you can see that I learned a lot. You don't what to have the experience learning that you have made some incorrect scope decisions AFTER you are on the hunt, as I did.;)

Edited here: Just a tho't prompted by seeing a trophy mule deer buck the last day of the elk season. Time was late evening, ligh was low to very low, range was about 1365 yds. The SS couldn't see him at all the Weaver did a fine job but I think it could have done better were it a 50 or 56mm objective instead of its 44. That buck really fired me up. Thus the quest for a larger objective. We watched that spot every morning, all day and evening every day for a month and only saw him for that one time for about 6 minutes. That is the first deer that I've seen that I REALLY wanted, too bad the deer season was long gone. As it was I couldn't have made the shot anyway as the wrong scope was on the right rifle. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN, i promise you.:mad:

You're on the right track. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
royinidaho,

Thanks for your real world experience. I can see where the benefit of a good variable scope on my hunting rig will be useful. To this point my long range gun has been my 308 and a 270. However I have had our property timber cut and is some of the area's the 480 acres of wide open terrain now just speaks "long range shooting"!!!! Areas with food plots that were once seperated by timber now allow a person to cover 2-3 food plots from some of my hills. The 7mm Rem mag, was a clearance rifle at walmart. I figured for $250 bucks I shouldn't pass it up and give it a try. I've already been shooting at plastic drums I've dragged out to the plots and taped paper plates too. Its been a great learning experience in range estimation and calculating scope adjustments.
By the way what kind of new scope are you looking at?

By the way what kind of new scope are you looking at?

This afternoon I had a Leupold VX-III LR 6.5-20, a Zeiss xx-15 and a Leupold 7 in 6.5-20. The VZ-III won the contest. But I'm holding out for a Front Focal Plane scope w/a mil dot reticle w/power to at least 20 w/a 50 or 56 mm objective lens in either 1" or 30mm tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.