1036 yard elk kill

Did the op pull the link to the video?
Would like to see it, but don't find it on his thread.

Link still works. All things aside, that was a pretty long shot and good one. Bull went down and did not run off. Wonder what cal. the rifle was. Looked to be a RUM.

WOW, looks like I stumbled onto Boone and Crockets facebook page here, so far I've seen the shooter called a liar, slob and just a horrible person over a you tube video. That is the EXACT method we as a group of long range hunters are being attacked with, just watching some edited video and saying "look, they didn't hunt"!!

Fact is you can't read the writing on the side of the gun, you have ZERO evidence that it's a straight up factory rifle with no custom work so calling him a liar, something you should be able to back up, is flat out ridiculous!!

You have a number of post of guys who didn't even watch the video yet comment on how horrible it is, are you kidding me, how lame does it make you if your looking at the front page and all you see is a flat brim hat and you've made your decision. I find it embarrassing I'm on the same forum as some of you making a judgement about a guy over his hat and music are you in grade school! I don't like them either but I know guys who look just like him and listen to music that will make my ears bleed and they'll out hunt anyone, there are plenty of cowboy hat wearing, country music listening trolls out there also!!

He killed the bull CLEAN, holy cow stop the presses he did it and closed his eyes, hang him. You guys should try videoing yourself shoot, might learn something lightbulb He could have edited it, but he didn't which I like to see because how many of us could go an entire hunt on video and not make a mistake?

Some of you apparently were there and saw what kind of effort was put into looking for the bull judging by the comments! Fact is all you got to make your judgement on is that he said they could not find it in the dark and had to come back in the next morning, you have ZERO idea how hard they looked!! Ya it could have been a scan and leave but it could have been a crawl all over for hours looking for him and finally giving up to go get more help, but apparently his flat brim hat and rap music means he for sure just walk away!
What I saw was a bull rolled up with his horns under him and against a log, in the dark with a head lamp you would have had to step on that thing to find him, and it does not look like just a sweet little trail hike to him either. FACT is we see him bone out and haul his meat out, just like every one of you would have done!

Nice bull, clean kill and they packed it all out, done!!

Watched the video.
I can understand not being able to find an elk in the dark with all that deadfall.
Certainly nice to have that many friends to come help pack him off the mountain.
Great shot, congrats to him.

I watched it all the way through and the shots were right on the money and the guy said it was a custom gun with hundreds of rounds of practice. The big problem I have is shooting a bull that late in the day in that kind of country where they had to know that it would be tough to find before it got dark, so that was not using common sense and IMHO was more to video the shot than anything else. If nothing on the bull soured, especially the part on the ground, in that length of time from shot to recovery I would be very surprised. An elk from sheer size alone will sour many times even when immediately dressed out and laying in the snow overnight if it's not quartered on out and the meat moved up off the ground so it isn't insulated and the heat leaves the meat ASAP.

It's true the video is a small glimpse of what really happened. The problem I have is knowing my experience hunting elk this was a disappointment in ethics. We have shot elk after the sun had set. Never left them overnight without quartering them. This last season my brother in law and his 12 yr old son came back at 9:30 cause they needed to field dress the elk asap. The year before same situation, dad made the choice to shoot a spike the last 20 minutes of light at 550yrds. It wad a 45 minute horse ride in the dark to cross the canyon and get to it. We hauled the elk out that night and was back in camp by 10pm. Deer hunting this year my nephew shot a deer which put us getting to the truck at 11pm. We tough it out and recover our game. I realize sometimes animals can't be found. But the attitude when he says, "right where we left him" speaks volumes. Taking that shot near 5pm (II have no idea what time exactly the shot was made), with a 3 mile hike out leads the viewers to assume they didn't make much effort to find the elk.
That being said, it was a great shot. To me the first one was a miss. It was a dead bull. I don't care about the gun, or closed eyes(that's why I think it was a miss on the first shot). I just don't want it to be the reason we have rules placed on us and how we hunt. Showing ethical kills are great, but don't give the other side ammunition against us. I have idiots where I hunt that take 800yard shots that wound elk that they never recover. Makes me sick to think how many of these happen.

upacreek---The first one wasn't a miss. He hit him good and the bull was teetering and wobbling from the shot. The second shot, if you slow mo and stop it on a large screen like I have, appears to have been a mid body spine shot that dropped him instantly. With the number of guys there, they could have had one stay where he shot from and guided the others right to that bull to take care of it properly after dark. There are way too many of these videos out showing unethical stuff like that, including one I saw where the guy took a head shot at 800+ yards! It's bad enough the antis see stuff like that, but that also gets most hunters riled up and rightly so.

We can all sit here and armchair quarterback the whole thing, bottom line it's not your hunt, not your shot and not your recovery so you don't really know what did or did not happen beyond what is shared with us.

Your all worried about the impression it gives, well your setting the tone for non hunters to look at it and judge hunting as a whole, do you honestly want your hunt judged on the music you listen to or the hat you wear or by one little phrase, if we won't judge our fellow hunter based on facts rather than feeling and personal bias then we have little hope of making our case to the public as a whole!!

You have ZERO way to know what effort was put into finding that bull that night, I hunt stupid easy stuff to find an elk in and I recover a lot of elk a year in the same area year after year, when I pull the trigger a recovery plan is already rolling. In an unfamiliar area, back in and in what looks like a crappy spot and then with a bull rolled on his back up against a log, I would say not an easy thing, often times it's the horns you pick up. We don't know the situation, if any of us would have been with him we may have made the same call, we don't have the fact so you'd have to make that judgement based on assumptions.

You say leave a guy back, how do you know they didn't, you don't do you so your left to make a pile of assumptions to make an ethical judgement with on a public forum, again setting the bar for non hunters to judge all our hunts on. I know guys who think quartering a bull is border line unethical as it wastes meat, they'll only take them out whole but that is a personal ethic that has no bearing on hunting as a whole. We all have personal likes and dislikes but we should be able as rational beings to separate personal stuff from the hunting community as a whole.

Heck the guy says something in what I took a moment of relief that he was right where they left him the last time he saw him, we can all take that comment in multiple ways, so why do you assume that it's because he did something wrong, is it because of how he personally rubs you? Don't you want your hunting to be judged in the court of public opinion based on facts, no feeling, personal expression or tastes?

That facts as presented are a clean kill and the meat went out on their backs, EXACTLY how it leaves with every one of us!!!

I think this just shows why you have to be so careful when you post anything to social media.

It's true that we really don't know the exact effort they put in to retrieving that bull. And that is exactly the point. All we know is what we can see in the video, and it's left open to interpretation. Maybe he should have gone into more detail about why they couldn't get to the bull that night, or the effort that they did put in. The shooter also might have gone home, donated a million dollars to RMEF, saved a group of boyscouts from a house fire, and cured cancer. But it's not in the video. So we can't see that it happened.

But from the video, I can see is a less then ideal effort to retrieve that bull. Based on what they present in the video, that's a fact.

But dang, he sure did make two nice shots.

After writing a long drawn out response explaining my position I realize it's non productive. So all I need to say is you have filled in the gaps putting your spin on what has been said and shown. You are no different, except you are choosing to believe what suits you best. You can do that. It's pretty clear your position and it is different than others who would have liked to see this bull field dressed that night to salvage some meat. Okay, we hear you. It still is disappointing to see the bull lay ther all night and the meat get spoiled.

Exactly upacreek! His opinion is no better than any of ours and we are just going by what we can see on the video. If that bull didn't move from where he was shot like the guy stated right on tape, there is no way they shouldn't have made a recovery and dressed that bull out before leaving the mountain for the night. I also wish that bigngreen would drop or change his tagline because that in and of itself is a turnoff when you read the last part---Just MHO!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.