843 yard kill this morning

John-Pure Precision

LRH Sponsor
I was out for a quick morning hunt by my house in western Colorado when I glassed up a group of elk about 1.5 miles from the road. I got my stuff and headed out, it was 2 degrees out so I didn't stop much for breathers. I got to a knob where I wanted to take the shot and set up my gear. I ranged a cow multiple times at 843 yards with my G7Br2 and it gave me 15.4 MOA correction for my 300 DAKOTA shooting the 230 grain berger OTM. I applied the correction, held for no wind. The cow was at a frontal shot so I aimed right where her neck came in to her chest. After the shot I watched the impact and she went tumbling! The bullet struck her In the neck and event in to her chest cavity. Not bad for a cold bore shot at single digits! Coolest shot I have made.

Attachments

• IMG_20131216_083506_032.jpg
    IMG_20131216_083506_032.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20131216_083352_574.jpg
    IMG_20131216_083352_574.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20131216_095906_653.jpg
    IMG_20131216_095906_653.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 151
Congrats! That's a good shot! Every time I go out to try to get a long range shot on game, I end up finding one at 300 yards or so haha. Gonna try to get a long range poke on an elk in NM next year so maybe it will work out.

WOW! Congrats on a great cold-bore shot AT 843yds!!! gun)

Well done for sure. I hope she didn't end up in a horrible extraction point.....

Thanks! This rifle is shooting lights out. Yea to let you know how the pack out went. When I killed her I only had the Mini Me pack by eberlestock. I quartered her but left the bone in and hide on. I maid 5 trips to get her back to where I shot her from, you get to find out how far 843 yards truly is! I left her there and went back this morning with my frame pack and maid quick work of it. I'm still all smiles, I have been working hard to be truly effective at these distances and I have really come a long ways from where I started 7 years agogun)

Thanks! This rifle is shooting lights out. Yea to let you know how the pack out went. When I killed her I only had the Mini Me pack by eberlestock. I quartered her but left the bone in and hide on. I maid 5 trips to get her back to where I shot her from, you get to find out how far 843 yards truly is! I left her there and went back this morning with my frame pack and maid quick work of it. I'm still all smiles, I have been working hard to be truly effective at these distances and I have really come a long ways from where I started 7 years agogun)

Ha ha! My friend, I believe 843 yds here in Colorado can feel like a WHOLE LOT MORE than 843 on the flats. :D

Again, congrats on a great shot and filling the freezer!

I "almost" hunted my 1st elk season this year, but had to return home last minute as two work things fell completely apart. Huge disappointment.

Sweet! Glad you got both goals...800+ and some good eating. Congrats. I only saw 4? 5? on Monday evening in my 3rd Rifle this year. Great shooting.gun)

WAY TO GO !!!

Beautiful country. Congratulations. I bought a G7BR2 for this season. It paid for itself on opening day Deer Season here in San Diego County, Calif. 879 yd 2x2 shot by my stepson. What a feeling! Used my leica Geovid 15x56 RF Binocular which indicated 895yds on several reads. Than used the G7BR2 and it read 879 five times. So we dialed in 880 yds. POA/POI High Shoulder, result DRT!

Congratualtions!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.