843 yard kill this morning

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by TrophyHunter_colorado, Dec 16, 2013.

1. TrophyHunter_colorado

TrophyHunter_colorado Well-Known Member

I was out for a quick morning hunt by my house in western Colorado when I glassed up a group of elk about 1.5 miles from the road. I got my stuff and headed out, it was 2 degrees out so I didn't stop much for breathers. I got to a knob where I wanted to take the shot and set up my gear. I ranged a cow multiple times at 843 yards with my G7Br2 and it gave me 15.4 MOA correction for my 300 DAKOTA shooting the 230 grain berger OTM. I applied the correction, held for no wind. The cow was at a frontal shot so I aimed right where her neck came in to her chest. After the shot I watched the impact and she went tumbling! The bullet struck her In the neck and event in to her chest cavity. Not bad for a cold bore shot at single digits! Coolest shot I have made.

Attached Files:

2. TrophyHunter_colorado

Sorry for the bad pics, I only had my phone

3. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together...good shot!

4. TrophyHunter_colorado

I know man! I love it, thanks for the comment

5. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Congrats! That's a good shot! Every time I go out to try to get a long range shot on game, I end up finding one at 300 yards or so haha. Gonna try to get a long range poke on an elk in NM next year so maybe it will work out.

6. TrophyHunter_colorado

I know what you mean! It seems to be my plague also. The stars aligned on this hunt, I have been trying to brake the 800 mark for over a year on a big game animal.

7. fmajor

fmajor Well-Known Member

WOW! Congrats on a great cold-bore shot AT 843yds!!! gun)

Well done for sure. I hope she didn't end up in a horrible extraction point.....

8. TrophyHunter_colorado

Thanks! This rifle is shooting lights out. Yea to let you know how the pack out went. When I killed her I only had the Mini Me pack by eberlestock. I quartered her but left the bone in and hide on. I maid 5 trips to get her back to where I shot her from, you get to find out how far 843 yards truly is! I left her there and went back this morning with my frame pack and maid quick work of it. I'm still all smiles, I have been working hard to be truly effective at these distances and I have really come a long ways from where I started 7 years agogun)

9. fmajor

fmajor Well-Known Member

Ha ha! My friend, I believe 843 yds here in Colorado can feel like a WHOLE LOT MORE than 843 on the flats. :D

Again, congrats on a great shot and filling the freezer!

I "almost" hunted my 1st elk season this year, but had to return home last minute as two work things fell completely apart. Huge disappointment.

10. T3-OleMan

T3-OleMan Well-Known Member

Sweet! Glad you got both goals...800+ and some good eating. Congrats. I only saw 4? 5? on Monday evening in my 3rd Rifle this year. Great shooting.gun)

11. TrophyHunter_colorado

Thanks T3!

12. NW Hunter

NW Hunter Well-Known Member

One beautiful shot and a lot of leg and lung work!
    Great job! Thanks for sharing...

13. GonzoK34

GonzoK34 Well-Known Member

WAY TO GO !!!

Beautiful country. Congratulations. I bought a G7BR2 for this season. It paid for itself on opening day Deer Season here in San Diego County, Calif. 879 yd 2x2 shot by my stepson. What a feeling! Used my leica Geovid 15x56 RF Binocular which indicated 895yds on several reads. Than used the G7BR2 and it read 879 five times. So we dialed in 880 yds. POA/POI High Shoulder, result DRT!

Congratualtions!

14. canderson

canderson Well-Known Member

Congratulations. It is an awesome feeling when it comes together.