500 Yard+ elk kills

Freakin dandy joe.... dandy.. wish i could.find.one that wide!!! Good shootin also

Kasey

Ps.. whats ur.load data :)

Currently I am shooting in the 300WSM:
64.2 gr of R17 (2990 at the muzzle)
200gr Barnes LRX
Winchester brass
CCI LRM

I got pressure signs at 64.7 (hard lift bolt)

Here is my 2011 Idaho bull... the wolves haven't eaten them all.
Range: 975 yrds
Wind: dead calm
Rifle : HS Precision 300WSM
Bullet: Handload 180 gr. Barns TTSX, RL 17 3050 muzzle velocity
Optics: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22
Rest: prone on a flat rock with a Harris bipod

The bull was broadside and unaware on the opposite side of a canyon. I had coached myself to limit a shot to 600 yards.... even though I had practiced a lot, taken courses and was confident.... but still. When he started to move towards the timber, I changed my mind and took the shot. The bullet struck the humerus(below the shoulder blade) bone and broke it. The bull stumbled downhill and came to rest at 740 yards. He was lying down preventing a second body shot. A neck shot finished him.
I have now worked up a great load for the 200 gr LRX.
Awesome bull and shot, thanks for sharing, how was damage to internal organs? I think you are going to love that 200 grain LRX, now you need a 1000 yard kill. gun)

regularjoe - nice bull!!

My first 'long range' bull was in the fall of 2011 in Eastern Oregon. Had built a .300Win Mag on a Winchester M70 that I had with a 26" Rock barrel and a Dagley brake earlier that spring. Shooting Nosler 200g Accubonds (RL22 and Fed 215M's) right at 3050fps had lots of practice out to 1000 yards.

After a long stalk, I found myself 585 yards from the bedded 6x7 bull. I had to wait about 45 minutes for him to eventually stand up and when he did, he absorbed one in the boiler room, staggered and turned around and took another one from the opposite side. He was dead on his feet after the first one but wasn't going to risk him running any further down into the hellhole he was already in.

Impact velocity was likely around 2100 fps. One went all the way through and one was recovered under the off side hide. It has mushroomed perfectly and weighed in (if I remember correctly) at 165g.
Nice job, if i couldnt shoot barnes i would more than likely shoot nosler. You can bet i will be trying the ALR when they come out.

I have been able to pull the trigger on quite a few bulls, 5 of those were from 575 to 1305. 2 of those were with a 7 mag and 168 bergers, one at 575 was a front shoulder shot and DRT, the other was at 1030 and it was slightly quartering away. I figured bullet impact was 1865 fps and 1297 ft/lbs. I included a photo of the bullets from that bull. Both were against the far shoulder. The other 3 were shot with 300 OTM's from an EDGE and the results were everything you would hope for in a bullet. all 3 were broadside or quartering away. the bull at 1305 was broadside, it hit him in the shoulder and he died like he got hit at 50 yds, the impact was 1720 fps and 1973 ft/lbs.

View attachment 17525
Thanks very much, great shooting. Do you have a thread on that 1305 yard bull? I am surprised the 168 bergers didnt shed more weight. Makes you wonder if thats what is happening in alot of the LR kills with bergers? The tumbling would create a large wound channel and if the tip blew off that could be the reason people are finding small bullet fragments, making it seem like it expanded but really didnt. just thinking out load here, dont take offense anyone.

no post on the 1305 bull. After recovering those 2 bullets from that bull I felt like I was at the end of the 7 mags capability, Then i made the switch to the EDGE. The bullet that is missing part of the nose, its entrance hole clipped part of the shoulder. The banana shaped berger went through the ribs and lungs, (nothing to get expansion started at that speed).

Ive been very lucky in my elk hunting sence I shot my first elk 15 years ago. This year I shot my 27th elk. Not to many have been long range. Most under 200yd with the good ol 270 win. I did shoot a cow at 694 with a 338 rum and 225sst. All I can say is ill never use that combo again on long range elk. Shot another at 675 with a 7 mag and 168 vld. High shoulder shot dropped and rolled 200 yds to the bottom of a canyon. 7 mag and the 168/180 vlds at 3000 fps are a though combo to beat for anything

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.