1036 yard elk kill

I posted this in the extreme long range forum, and I enjoyed reading the responses so I figured I'd post it here as well. This isn't my video. It's just a video I enjoyed and figured I'd share.
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcQhCNvjms[/ame]

Check out the slow motion at 5:50 into the video: he closes BOTH eyes and then pulls the trigger, it must have been that Bull's day to die.

Dave

You know I have a problem with any guy or guys that shoots a bull so late in the day that they can't get to him before dark and the bull lays there all night with the guts in and full of blood. Bet that bull was bone sour and the meat if they could eat it was lousy!!

I had a bull bone sour left over night at 40 degrees with the guts out and opened up. Sense then I won't shoot a bull after 3 pm. I guess filming the shot and a picture with the horns were more important than the end result. And yeah he blinked as he broke the shot but it was slow-mo and he made the shot but the way the animal was left just because it got dark just rubs me the wrong way.

You know I have a problem with any guy or guys that shoots a bull so late in the day that they can't get to him before dark and the bull lays there all night with the guts in and full of blood. Bet that bull was bone sour and the meat if they could eat it was lousy!!

I had a bull bone sour left over night at 40 degrees with the guts out and opened up. Sense then I won't shoot a bull after 3 pm. I guess filming the shot and a picture with the horns were more important than the end result. And yeah he blinked as he broke the shot but it was slow-mo and he made the shot but the way the animal was left just because it got dark just rubs me the wrong way.

I didn't even follow that part of the story and was just looking at his eyes closed. If that's what they did and left it over night without doing any field dressing, then they suck the big weenie!!! Elk are so big that you really need to at least gut them and get them opened up and preferably up off the ground some ASAP to avoid exactly what you mentioned. I've heard of guys not doing that even when an elk is laying in the snow and they find souring on the low side because the hide insulates the meat and the further internally you go the warmer the meat stays for a long period of time.

I put up a post on the other thread, but have to say field dressing an elk after dark is the choice you make when you pull the trigger. Unless lodged under a log I can have an elk quartered and hung in an hour. With all the hands in the 'film crew' they have no excuse. Maybe they were afraid of the dark.....?.....The flat billed ball cap says it all. Fits the exact stereo type he is trying to portray. That was horn hunting by a bunch of punks who don't respect hunting.

Flame me. I don't care, he has his rap, I have my opinion.

definitely two good shots on that bull... but in my opinion once you pull that trigger you are signing up for giving your all to find that bull as soon as possible. At least you've gotta try your hardest, and heading home and sleeping in your bed doesn't cut it. I would have been out there all night looking if that's what it took.

To make that shot, we can assume he knew the exact elevation he took the shot from, the exact inclination to the bull and obviously the distance. Take a quick compass heading and anybody who can put the variables together to make that shot is also capable to very quickly figure out exactly where that bull is on the mountain... probably not many places on that mountain at the calculated elevation, compass heading and at 1036 yards from where you shot.

those guys were just straight up lazy.

What a beautiful bull and what a shame to see it wasted on a lazy slob of a "hunter".

Leaving it lay like that is inexcusable. You pull the trigger you do the work.

Looked at his website, and the only nice thing I have to say is nice shot. I don't care for a lot in this video.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.