WY unit 72

Farmkid

My brother-in-law and I are going to be heading out to hunt some doe antelope in 72. I see there is a fair amount of walk in hunting area in this unit, but I have no personal experience here. I hunted private land in 73 about 5 years ago, but wanted to get away from paying trespass fees.

We will be driving from eastern Washington so I am trying to get as much online scouting done as possible. With work and family I don't have a lot of time to spend in Wyoming so I am trying to get as much info as possible before setting out.

If anybody has any info on some good spots to start with or any advice at all that could be helpful, I would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Right now there are 153 Leftover Doe/Fawn tags, in Area 72 that will go on sale Tues morning, and there are a few decent sized Walk-in-areas listed in 72.
Never been there my self, but walk in access usually means the land owner want to get rid of a few Antelope.
You MUST read and follow the rules for each walk-in-area, after all there ranchers are kind enough to allow us on their property with out a fee, the least we can do is respect their land and leave it better than we found it!

Dave

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/uploads/huntingwalk/natrona/Natrona.pdf

There's plenty of public land all over the unit that county roads go through. If you get a good map and go on those and then find some legal two tracks that will get you deeper into the public ground, you shouldn't have any problem filling tags out there.

we hunted 72 last fall. between our group of 4 we took 4 bucks and 3 does. best was a 71" buck. there is plenty of wia. i can't remember the name of the road, but it leads west out of casper and runs right thru a bunch of wia. use your blm maps and get off the roads. the hunting was a lot better once we got off the county roads.

You should have no problem filling doe tags along county road 210, just make sure you have your ducks in a row as far as land ownership. Current BLM map is a must, even better would be the gps chip to go with the map. The public land is pretty chopped up in 72 but there are a few larger chunks that you can access.

Bob

Poison Spider road runs down the middle of area72. There is a lot of public land but most in small State sections=The chip for a GPS really helps to guide you through this area....Think outside the box and you will do well!
Plenty of goats but the big guys KNOW the property lines very well, be patient and they will cross the boundrys=push them and they run for privet!
Saw these two out twards the western edge of 72 a couple years ago, if I would have had a tag I still aint sure wich one would have hit the ground??

Gary%20017.jpg

Nice choice to have to make, LOL! I think I'd take the narrower one as he has some nice long horns jugging for the curl, although wide ones normally will have some good length too. What the heck! Hope that's it's in a two buck unit that you have two tags for with you and both can bite the dust!

Thanks for all the replies. I was a little slow jumping on the internet so didn't get any extra leftover tags but two each should still make for a nice trip! I have been looking at all the Walk-in-areas and it looks like we should have plenty of land to run around in. We are planning on hitting it opening week and hunting the first 3 days as long as work permits. Thanks again for the pointers!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.