WY PD Hunt

K9TXS

This was my 3rd year to go to WY for a PD hunt. I had been shooting my .223 & 20 VT, but this year I also took my 17 HMR. I wanted to take the HMR in the past, but it just didn't group well at 100 yards. I replaced the barrel on the HMR with a Lothar Walther barrel. Man on man, what a difference.

The HMR is in an MDT stock with an arca rail. 19" Lothar Walther barrel, threaded for a suppressor and a vertical grip. I was shooting the Hornady 17 gr V-Max.

During the night a storm came through and when I headed out there was still a drizzle and the temperature was at 56*. Not a promising start. Getting to my location, it was very overcast, wet grass and cool. At this time of the morning it is normally very sunny, but not today. No dogs were out. So I just cruised the property checking out prior hunting spots and looking for new ones. After a couple of hours, the sun came out and warmed up the area. Heads started popping up from the mounds looking around. It was time.

I was still driving across the property when I saw one standing up on the two track road, stopping, I opened the door, laid the HMR across a bag, and down he went. He was the first one of many that morning with the HMR.
attachment.php
IMG_0111.jpg

After the first one, I went to the area where I intended to start that morning. It did not disappoint. The wind was working in my favor being very light. I used the HMR most of the morning. With the very light wind and a suppressor on the HMR I was wreaking havoc on the PD's. My longest shot of the morning was a lasered 163 yards with the HMR.
attachment.php
IMG_0109-1.jpg

The following day started the same as the first with some rain and cool temp's. When the sun came up shooting started again. I switched over to the 20 Vartarg since it didn't get much use the day before and again the PD's started flying.

With the very light wind still present, I could have stayed in one location, but using the VT without a suppressor, it is very loud. So when the PD's go down, I walk around. It allows me to get a better angle or closer to some that was not available before.
attachment.php
IMG_0113.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 10.54.11 AM.png
attachment.php

It was a great trip and I'm looking forward to the next one.

This was my 3rd year to go to WY for a PD hunt. I had been shooting my .223 & 20 VT, but this year I also took my 17 HMR. I wanted to take the HMR in the past, but it just didn't group well at 100 yards. I replaced the barrel on the HMR with a Lothar Walther barrel. Man on man, what a difference.

The HMR is in an MDT stock with an arca rail. 19" Lothar Walther barrel, threaded for a suppressor and a vertical grip. I was shooting the Hornady 17 gr V-Max.

During the night a storm came through and when I headed out there was still a drizzle and the temperature was at 56*. Not a promising start. Getting to my location, it was very overcast, wet grass and cool. At this time of the morning it is normally very sunny, but not today. No dogs were out. So I just cruised the property checking out prior hunting spots and looking for new ones. After a couple of hours, the sun came out and warmed up the area. Heads started popping up from the mounds looking around. It was time.

I was still driving across the property when I saw one standing up on the two track road, stopping, I opened the door, laid the HMR across a bag, and down he went. He was the first one of many that morning with the HMR.
attachment.php
View attachment 474241

After the first one, I went to the area where I intended to start that morning. It did not disappoint. The wind was working in my favor being very light. I used the HMR most of the morning. With the very light wind and a suppressor on the HMR I was wreaking havoc on the PD's. My longest shot of the morning was a lasered 163 yards with the HMR.
attachment.php
View attachment 474242

The following day started the same as the first with some rain and cool temp's. When the sun came up shooting started again. I switched over to the 20 Vartarg since it didn't get much use the day before and again the PD's started flying.

With the very light wind still present, I could have stayed in one location, but using the VT without a suppressor, it is very loud. So when the PD's go down, I walk around. It allows me to get a better angle or closer to some that was not available before.
attachment.php
View attachment 474243

View attachment 474244
attachment.php

It was a great trip and I'm looking forward to the next one.
Awsome ,love them CZ's change ability.What's the 17 hmr group at 100 and 200.I what to build an sp 22lr or 17hmr to carry on scooter
On the ARS chassis,did you buy it that way or or did you mill off the lower ballast cavity?I had to go to a wide stance f class type bipod to keep from mine falling over.

I have it sighted in for 100 yards. It will easily hold MOA or better at this distance. I haven't put it on paper at 200, so I don't know. My longest shot on this trip was probably 180ish. Grass was a little high and I couldn't see the mound to laser it.

I had many issues with the ars stock, made for a right handed action, safety wouldn't work, etc. etc...

I did have the bottom milled off and put an arca rail on it. It took a lot of work to get the ars stock to function, but now it's great.