Whoops ......

G

branch.jpg

I've been playing with my camera lately, but from time to time I just can not get the stupid auto focus to grab what I want. Any hints on what I might be doing wrong?

Also, how about some hints for getting steady shots without using a tripod? It's funny to think I can shoot 200 yard open sight matches all day from a standing position, but I can't get a steady photo unless I'm leaning against something or using a tripod.

Thanks in advance.

In this case the auto focus picked up the small twigs in the foreground.You may try to push the focus button ½ down and let the camera focus on the goose on the right without the twigs in the way and then move to where you did for the shot.The Twigs are still gona be in the way but the geese will be in focus and the twigs will be blurry in the foreground.
For instance I pushed the trigger of the camera ½ way down with the bird in the center of the view finder and let the camera focus=then I moved to the left and got the buffalo in the pic too and took the shot.The bird is in focus but the buffalo is blurred
DSC00907.JPG

In this photo I did just the opposite.I put the buffalo in the center of the view finder and pushed the trigger ½ way down to let the camera focus on the buffalo=then moved to the right to get the bird in the pic then I took the shot.
Hope I explained it right?

DSC00908.JPG

I like to use one of those walking/shooting mono pods.Most of them will screw into the camera.They are adjustable enough to use anywhere and help steady a camera as good or better than a gun.

MSU, what type of camera are you shooting? I shoot a Canon 10D, and I can switch which focusing point to use. In my camera, there are I think 7 focusing points that you can pick and choose from.

I'm using a Kodak Z710 that I picked up last fall. Overall, the camera is great for macro shots (which is mostly all I have used it for so far) and chances are I just haven't played with all of the settings yet.

OK, on the Koday Z710, hit menu, then picture taking and then go down to the multi-zone function. There you can select which zone you want to use for focusing. By doing this, you know precisely where in the viewfinder it will focus. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.