Which type of barrel for big 338 Build? Carbon or Steel?

I went with CarbonSix on my .338 NMI build (in progress). I went with .338 NMI because the LM/I, RUM, Edge needs a 4" COAL to take advantage of the heavy/high BC bullets.

View attachment 415507
View attachment 415508
.338 NM in 3.85" CIP magazine
Yep I knew that I would need a 4" with either the 338 Terminator or the LMI. Any reason why you did not want to go this route? The 338 Term round honestly comes in at like 3.9" lol.

What scope are you going with? 36 oz atacr or 19 oz Leupold? This will make a huge difference.

I built a .338 Norma on a remington 700, with an EH-1, and a 24" Lilja #5 spiral fluted barrel, and 5 port TI MBM Beast brake. As pictured with the 25 oz March in a DNZ mount, it was 9.4 lbs. I had an ATACR in a spuhr mount on a rail for a bit, and it was 10.4 lbs.
View attachment 415471

Here is another .338 Norma we put together, Manners EH-1A, Stiller TAC338 action, and 28" Carbon six barrel. That is their magnum contour, with a larger 1.3" diameter shank to accomodate the larger action threads. Terminator T3 brake, and Stiller CIP DBM, and vortex HST, about 22 oz, in warn mountain tech rings. Set up like that, I believe it is 11.7 lbs without the bipod. It now has a maven rs.4 5-30x56, which is 35+ oz, and I think the gun is about 12.4 lbs. If you built this exact gun, but without the adjustable cheek rest, you would be at or under 12 lbs with something like an ATACR. Hope this helps!

View attachment 415474
Love the artic color on that EH-1 - but it does not appear that Manners is doing that color anymore as it was not an option on my order. I ended up going with the midnight.

If you were to build another big 338, would you go steel again or carbon?

Yep I knew that I would need a 4" with either the 338 Terminator or the LMI. Any reason why you did not want to go this route? The 338 Term round honestly comes in at like 3.9" lol.
For the exact reason I provided in #11. The reamer is also my own design. I should be able to load at 3.8" (mag is 3.850") vs. 3.681" SAAMI. It's plenty for my personal preference/intended purpose.

Food for thought.

MDT makes a Lap mag that is 4" but I don't know who makes a bottom metal for it. or what action will accept it.

I built a 284 Win-Improved with a stainless fluted barrel. It comes in right a 9.5lbs fully dressed. Buddy built a nearly identical rifle using a carbon barrel and it's a pound lighter, might be a bit more even I can't remember for sure. I will say mine shoots better.
When I have to re-barrel I will likely try a carbon.

Just called Hart and CarbonSix - a fluted Hart Sendero barrel weighs approximately 4.5 lbs whereas a CarbonSix barrel weighs 3 lbs.

The 1.5lb difference is huge. I would love to go steel because they arguably shoot better, but 1.5lbs on a hunting rifle is huge. I am not sure that I can keep it around 11 lbs scoped with a steel barrel.