What you can do with a Savage or two?

Engineering101

Though it would be fun to show the mixed up fun you can have with a Savage. In the attached picture you will see what happens when two Savage Model 12s collide. One was a LPV in 300 WSM and the other a LRP in 260 Rem. Not surprisingly the bigger caliber came out on top so this rifle is a 300 WSM but on a Savage target action with DBM. Along the way a 20 MOA rail and a 4 port muscle brake got installed along with a Boyd's prairie hunter stock with the adjustable cheek piece (very slick how that works). I still have the HS Precision stock from the LRP available should that be more appropriate to the intended use that day. A hunting buddy has an unmodified 300 WSM LPV and it is shooting 0.5 MOA with the 200 grain ELD-Xs. That is the control rifle. I'm going to see if I can beat that with this rifle. He is running H4831SC in his but I'm going to run RL-26 as that is top of the list for velocity per QuickLoad (103% compressed load). He is averaging 2,815 fps whereas I should be able to get to 3,000 fps with the RL-26.

Attachments

• heavily modified savagae 12 LRP.jpg
    heavily modified savagae 12 LRP.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 153
Made it to the range with the new 300 WSM. I had 5 rounds loaded with 66.0 grains of RL-26 behind a 200 grain ELD-X (Fed 215 primer). At this point there were zero rounds down the tube so I fired one fouler and then 4 shots for a group at 200 yards. They landed in 1.969" center to center or roughly 1 MOA. Not bad for a complete guess as to powder. They averaged 2,868 fps. I had the ELD-Xs 0.006" off the lands. From other rifles they also work 0.020" off. All in all they seem pretty easy to get to work. I've now got a ladder loaded for another trip to the range. On the top end, I managed to get 68.0 grains in this Norma brass which should give me about 2,954 fps. Hopefully groups will tighten up somewhere in that vicinity.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.