used M40A1 stocks and bottom metal

Dave King

I was a post over on Sniper's Hide about McMillan getting some USMC M40A1 stocks back from the USMC.

Originally as I understand it McMillan had perhaps 200 of these to sell. I tried calling straight to McMillan but I was too late in the day yesterday (20 July 2006). Today it occured to me the perhaps George Gardner of G-A Precision may have bought up a few for use at his shop at customer request... I called George and sure enough he had bought a few and had his crew clean them up. I bought 2 from George for what I considered a very reasonable price ($250.00 each + shipping)

These are actual USMC turn-in stocks from M40A1 rifles, they're used but I'd imagine in good shape as the Marines paint them to their liking (about 97,000 coats of paint will probably pretty well protect the original woodland finish). The bottom metal used by the Marines is a modified Winchester M70 2-piece set altered to screw to the bottom of a Remington 700 short action.

If you're looking for a take-off stock for a Remington 700 short action project one of these may suit your needs nicely.

(The M40A1 uses the McMillan HGT stock in woodland without texture, there should also be Wichita sling swivels or the remnants of them.)

G-A Precision

Dave,
I just saw those stocks at George's - they are really amazing. Most are in nice shape considering their background. One thing - they are built heavy, about the heaviest HTG's I have handled.
He still has ten or so I believe.

He also has five brand new ready to-go Crusaders in the vault - they are beyond sweet...

whats a Crusader?

And I thought that the Marines used a realy beefy one piece unit like the Badger Ordanance as bottom metal?

Ian

There are several types of "fill" for the McMillan stocks (you probably know this), the HTG used by the USMC had the "sniper fill" I believe, my M40A1 clone is a very heavy rifle mostly due to the heavy fill stock.

What were you doing at George's place???? I've only stopped to visit him twice in person there in Kansas City, one time it cost me about a $100 lunch and a $3,000 rifle and the second was a little worse at two rifles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif! He really is a fine fella and good company though, but most wives would rather their husbands didn't know him.

JDJones

I believe the Badger gear is on the newer M40A3 (?) USMC rifle, the one with the Schneider barrel and A3 or A4 (???) McMillan stock.

Dave,
If I answered that question I would have to kill myself - visiting and looking for article material and - like you, dropping a little money. Was at Leupold on Monday, flew home Tues., flew down to KC on Wed, visit GA Thurs, home Friday. Just another boring week...

Ian, I think you were out in OR at the same junket as my buddy Shep. He said you guys were treated well & they had a nice operation. I believe GAP has some of his hard earned 'fixed income' $$$ as well.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Glad you guys roughed it through the week ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts