Stainless steel cleaning brushes good idea or bad?

HockeyDad

I see Bass Pro has some stainless steel barrel cleaning brushes - anyone have any experience with them? Or opinions on using them?

I see Bass Pro has some stainless steel barrel cleaning brushes - anyone have any experience with them? Or opinions on using them?
Just my humble opinion but I only mostly use nylon and some bronze bore brushes. Probably 10 to 1 ratio nylon. We have an ample supply from .17 to .338. Only want to use softer material than the barrel metal. If using a good bore cleaner should only need nylon.

Attachments

• Bore Brushes.jpg
    Bore Brushes.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 58
A number of barrel manufacturers recommend nylon only and a few say bronze is OK. Never read a single one that even mentioned anything like stainless. Now -- some brushes have a stainless steel core wire. This is fine. It never touches the barrel and will not turn green with copper removing agents.

Just my humble opinion but I only mostly use nylon and some bronze bore brushes. Probably 10 to 1 ratio nylon. We have an ample supply from .17 to .338. Only want to use softer material than the barrel metal. If using a good bore cleaner should only need nylon.
I use Nylon exclusively. I couldn't imagine using stainless steel in my hand lapped tube.

One of the best ways to ruin a barrel (or cylinder on a revolver) is to use a stainless steel brush.

Bronze of nylon for barrels and a Hoppes Tornado brush (they are spiral wound) in a cylinder.

I've used them as they have one particular application where nothing else works as well. Removing serious rust from the bore of someone's "family heirloom".

I've used them as they have one particular application where nothing else works as well. Removing serious rust from the bore of someone's "family heirloom".
For this, use a small wad of the white scotch brite. I also use scotch brite for degunking brass. It does a wonderful job as long as you use the correct one. There are several different colors signifying different coarseness.

For this, use a small wad of the white scotch brite. I also use scotch brite for degunking brass. It does a wonderful job as long as you use the correct one. There are several different colors signifying different coarseness.

I've used Scotch-Brite for decades. The one bore that I can recall in particular was well past using white on it, would have taken literally a year to get somewhere. The Brownish Burgundy, maybe. It was bad. I wore out a SS bore brush on it. I didn't worry about trying to remove the pits, I just wanted to get to it having a bit of a sheen.