Sherman 7ss + HH + RL26

shphtr

I am currently shooting 175 gr ELD-X with RL26 in my 7mm SS with approx MOA accuracy. I think my rifle is capable of better accuracy so would like to try 169 gr Hammer Hunter (barrel is 8.5 twist carbon Proof) with RL26 and am looking for guidance on starting loads from anyone who has tried this combination. Thank you in advance.

80 views and no comments. I didn't think I was trying to use components that were that unique a combination! Any recommendations or suggestions etc. welcome.

I cant comment on the hammers because I haven't shot them. I would give the 180 eldm a try. They have shot well for me in everything that I've tried them in. I could not get the 30 cal 200 eldx to shoot. I did have good results with the 208 eldm. I think some of the eldx bullets shoot well but I've noticed that people sometimes have a hard time getting them to shoot depending on which eldx bullet it is.

Haven't tried that combo, but have loaded the hammers in several different guns. Seat the bullet out around .020" off or so to give you room for powder, if your load density is high with the 175, you MIGHT need a faster powder, but rl26 is dense so it will hopefully work. Depending how hot your 175 load is, start about there, if it's a top end load maybe start a little lower, and work up looking for pressure signs/accuracy. The hammers generally aren't hard to get shooting well, mainly just find your max and work your load safely under it, and if the rifle and shooter are capable you should find a half-ish MOA load.

With the hammers I have loaded, I just worked up one shot per charge just going off of nosler data, or if not available other c&c bullet load data for same/similar weight, and recorded speed until I ran into pressure signs, then looked for a flat spot in velocity safely under max, and did an OCW type work up in that charge range and quickly came up with a good load.

Good luck, hopefully someone with more specific data chimes in.

Interested if anyone has found a load for this. If I ever need a mono bullet, this is high on the list.

Most every 7 ss I have seen or loaded for loves the 180 VLDH and 60.5 of RL 26. Among friends, there are 6 rifles shooting the 180 and RL 26 or a VV powder. Load up to it, but in ADG brass, that has been a solid load.

I am currently shooting 175 gr ELD-X with RL26 in my 7mm SS with approx MOA accuracy. I think my rifle is capable of better accuracy so would like to try 169 gr Hammer Hunter (barrel is 8.5 twist carbon Proof) with RL26 and am looking for guidance on starting loads from anyone who has tried this combination. Thank you in advance.
Why not go directly to the source, Brian/Steve or Rich?

I have a 280 Sherman and use 143HH and RL26. I called Steve and Rich both and they got me pointed in the right direction. For all Hammer Hunters, I think starting loads are similar to comparable weight book data, but double check with Steve. I started with 280ai data and worked up from there- you could probably do similar with 7saum data?

there's also a load data thread for Shermans on here, and Rich has a Sherman dedicated FB page with lots of people loading for his cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.