Rifle scopes, price point of diminishing returns?

Ended up ordering a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2. Taking awhile to ship, so I don't have it yet to play with. In the mean time I've obtained another rifle. Thinking I'll bring my S&B on one of the new builds and the Leupold on the other. We'll see how it works out.

Is there some kind of testing group that tests and reviews scopes? It would seem there should be some way to quantify things like clarity, tracking (repeatability), durability, etc. It's frustrating to see a $xxx scope and a $x,xxx scope side by side that say they do the same thing, but no way for the consumer to know if 10x$ is really worth it.
There are some online but you have to know who to trust vs who is just doing writer marketing. S who may not know what they are taking about, butnthe last groups is usually not difficult to figure out,

One note - if they have a similar feature set and you put them side by side and can't tell a difference, trust your own eyes. Some of the scopes will be better, but honestly I don't know that i could pick up the differences if you are talking purely glass quality. Other things, like tracking consistency and durability are easier to understand, and at least for me, value.

I usually search for 'name of the scope' review. You'll find bloggers and write ups for most scopes.

Ended up ordering a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2. Taking awhile to ship, so I don't have it yet to play with. In the mean time I've obtained another rifle. Thinking I'll bring my S&B on one of the new builds and the Leupold on the other. We'll see how it works out.

Is there some kind of testing group that tests and reviews scopes? It would seem there should be some way to quantify things like clarity, tracking (repeatability), durability, etc. It's frustrating to see a $xxx scope and a $x,xxx scope side by side that say they do the same thing, but no way for the consumer to know if 10x$ is really worth it.
Yeah it can be tough picking out a scope unless you can look through it. So yes we just have to rely on reviews. I'll say the Schotts glass is probably the best glass I have ever had the privilege to look through. So S&B, IOR, Meopta, and some Zeiss. NightForce Japanese glass is pretty good so anything with top tier Japanese glass will work. My hunting rig has a 2.5-8x32mm VariXIII as per Chuck Mawhinney's suggestion from almost 14 years ago. It has Premier Reticle mildots so I use them for holdover, no twisting knobs. Shot small water bottles out to 450 yards with ease w/ a stock pushfeed M70 FWT 30-06. For 500 yards you don't really need much, just a reliable reasonably accurate rifle and decent glass. But since you have invested so much in the rifle and hunt I'd say get the best glass you can. Ironically I dialed down my PSS (4.5-14x50mm LR Tactical) to 8x magnification while shooting 800 yard steel yesterday. Had no problems seeing it or hitting it. It's no where near top tier glass, but it works.

I'll say most people make the mistake of comparing glass in good light. Low light conditions IMO are a better way to pick good hunting glass.

Over on LR only they are doing some scope comparision with equipment that is suppose to quantify differnces

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.