Reticle level fine tuning

Punisher

I have seen and owned many little gizmos for leveling a reticle to an action over the years. And the best way I have learned is to use the gizmo to get close and then head the range and dial up about 24 MOA and shoot at a plumbed line on paper. With doing this, I seem to hit 1/8" to 1/4" more right at 200 yards. So I know that I am about as close as I can get it by the way that I do it.

But, for my own piece of mind, I have concerns because I only have one pasture with one shooting lane to 1000. The wind is almost always from the same direction here, so how do I know for sure that I havnt just learned to compensate for poor Alignment with my DOPE?

Shoot when the wind is not blowing?

Have you tried using a wixey digital angle gauge Here and small corner (90 degree) piece of metal Like this? I understand its another gizmo, but its been extremely accurate in my use.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.