Reloading Components Storage

Rcolter

Does everyone store their reloading supplies, ie powder and primers in a climate controlled area?

Are there any tricks if stored non climate controlled?

I keep my primers in surplus ammo cans in my basement reloading room, powder stays in the original containers on the shelf. In the past I have stored my stuff in a shop with no climate control at all but I kept the powder in the ammo cans at that time too, never had a problem. I still have some primers that are marked at $.96 a box that work just fine!

Bob

It all depends on where you live. Powder and primers need to be stored in dry constant temperature between above 40*F and not much above 80*F. Cold or high heat for prolonged time and or a great variable between the two, hot then cold, is not good. High humidity areas are not good either on primers just left in their box. It is good practice to keep your primers in a zip lock bag with some discantant (SP?) packets added. It is also not a good idea to store powder or primers in things like the military ammo boxes. You are creating a bomb when you do this if there was a fire. One of the best storage places I have found is in my basement in an old refrigerator that does not work. It is air tight and greatly fire resistant but if a fire was to happen and things got hot enough to cook off the primers or set the powder to burning instead of an explosion from being in something that would not let the pressure of the gasses escape before explosion it would just push the doors open. I put the primers in the freezer section and the powder in the refrigerator part.

It is also not a good idea to store powder or primers in things like the military ammo boxes. You are creating a bomb when you do this if there was a fire. One of the best storage places I have found is in my basement in an old refrigerator that does not work. It is air tight and greatly fire resistant but if a fire was to happen and things got hot enough to cook off the primers or set the powder to burning instead of an explosion from being in something that would not let the pressure of the gasses escape before explosion it would just push the doors open. I put the primers in the freezer section and the powder in the refrigerator part.

Military ammo cans are designed to store ammunition and explosives. They are designed to rupture at the corners and stay in one piece, not explode like a bomb. Pressure vessels are cylindrical not rectangular or square. The military ammo can is the safest storage container commonly available other than an approved black powder storage safe that also happens to be a rectangular metal container.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.