Redfield?

Dont know about the 40/44 series but the Weaver scopes Ive looked at were MUCHO better than latest Redfields

Ever checked out
Country Attic Treasures

They have some nice deals on Weavers

Like the Nikons, not all Weaver models are created equal for obvious rea$on$. A coworker asked my opinion between the Redfield Rev 4-12x40 ARR vs Weaver 40/44 in 4-12x44 B-X for his daughter's. 30-06. I told him for my eye sight, the Redfiled has my vote. However, he thinks the Weaver has better clarity ... so he bought it.

Long story short, her daughter ended up with a scope bite despite wearing shooting glasses. In short, you must evaluate the entire scope, i.e., for me, eye relief is critical, esp. for hard recoiling rifle - Redfield 3.7-4.9" vs. Weaver 3.0".

He exchanged it for the Redfield the following day ... that was 2 hunting seasons ago.

I am an admitted Leupold fan but will be objective here. I have numerous Leupolds from VXI (free, wont buy one) to a Mark 4, Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 and K-9 50 mm, and have used the new Redfield.
Just a couple of days ago me and a young man were working up loads for his 300WSM. It is equipped with a Redfield 3x9. I also had my 7mm/08 with a Vari X III 2.5 x8 on it; a $400 scope. No comparison. The clarity with the Leupold is remarkably cleared (crisper) and brighter. But this is a scope that cost twice as much. I have no complaints, at all, with the Weaver's I have. I was actually impressed with both for the price. Seems we just compare every scope to a Leupold so If you can afford it, why not just go for it. Why pay $50 bucks less for your second choice?
It all boils down to use. If I was to want a scope for general use where money was a factor the Redfield will give a workable option. For my primary rifle, I prefer better optics. (Heck, I will spend more on glass than the rifle) If your budget is about $400, the VX-2 3x9 is $299. The VX-2 4-12 is just about $400 or a little less. I would go with the 4-12 and never look back.

JMO. Good Luck.

Been looking at the New 6x18x44 Redfield and the folks at SWFA say the new series of Redfield scopes are gaining in popularty. Still have a few questions about them holding up to 7mag. Have an older Simmions on it now and looking to up grade. any one tried them yet????

Like the Nikons, not all Weaver models are created equal for obvious rea$on$. A coworker asked my opinion between the Redfield Rev 4-12x40 ARR vs Weaver 40/44 in 4-12x44 B-X for his daughter's. 30-06. I told him for my eye sight, the Redfiled has my vote. However, he thinks the Weaver has better clarity ... so he bought it.

Long story short, her daughter ended up with a scope bite despite wearing shooting glasses. In short, you must evaluate the entire scope, i.e., for me, eye relief is critical, esp. for hard recoiling rifle - Redfield 3.7-4.9" vs. Weaver 3.0".

He exchanged it for the Redfield the following day ... that was 2 hunting seasons ago.

I still have a Redfield 4-12X40.....biggest mistake Ive made in years.

Been looking at the New 6x18x44 Redfield and the folks at SWFA say the new series of Redfield scopes are gaining in popularty. Still have a few questions about them holding up to 7mag. Have an older Simmions on it now and looking to up grade. any one tried them yet????

Keep the Simmons. That Redfield is no upgrade at all

OK, since it's your biggest mistake and is a piece of crap, how much do you want for it?

$175...just what I paid for it new. Its sitting on a 22-250 that hasnt even been fired with it on there. After mounting...I sat down and looked thru it and said phooie...no way.
I THINK..???...I'll replace it with a variable Wesver

Went out this evening and looked at the Nikon Prostaff. Liked this scope a lot (better than the Redfield). Still not sure though.

Every time you ask for opinion (and we all know what that means) you will get varying responses but ultimately, the decision is yours.

Below is 1 of 2 pages I clipped about a year ago ... you draw your own conclusion:

Nikon.jpg

I used to have a coworker that buys nothing but Nikon scopes and he's happy with all of them.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.