Pitting On My Bolt Lug?

CA48

I was sending my bolt off to have it fluted and get a knob installed when I noticed what looked like a small shallow pit in the bolt lug. Looked on the other lug and there was something similar but this one looked more of a uniform circle like it was supposed to be there.

Thinking back I can't ever remember a binding feeling while working the bolt in the past.

View attachment 24087
View attachment 24088
image.jpg

Here is one pic it's not to great, but the others I attached aren't showing up for some reason.

If thats on a model 700 Remington....it MIGHT be the screw for the front scope mount. You can actually crank them in tight enough to lock the bold

It is. I guess it could be from a past owner. I've had the same base on it for years since I bought the rifle. With the NF base I have on it I think the screws are made short enough to where you can crank down on them and they won't bottom out on the bolt.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.