online ballistics programs

i have just started reloading for my rig and I am curious about how my loads are stacking up against some of the upper lever factory loads that used to shoot well out of my gun. i am shooting 80gr. Sierra gamekings with 38 grains of 6068 powder(i believe the powder is correct, i don't have it with me right now) my gun is a ruger M77 in .243win the barrel is a 1:9 rh any ballistics info or leads to obtaining these would be greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i forgot to mention that the handloads i am shooting now are shooting fine(5 shots in about .75 inch at 100 yards)i just want to get an idea of the muzzle velocity and maybe energy so that i can compare them to some factory loads and see if they are in the ballpark as to what i consider minimums for deer and pronghorn.

This is only my experience, others should be able to answer better as I'm kinda new to this stuff also.
The only way to tell your velocity for sure is to chronograph the loads. I had been going off book value for a long time, until I bought a chrono. Some rifles/loads were 200 fps slower than book and some were actually faster.
I still haven't figured out why my 22-250 is so much slower??
Too bad we dont live about 100 mi closer together or my chronograph may get some more use!

First of all welcome to the LRH forum.

Second, He's right. You sorta have to get a velocity reading to know where you are at. That is unless some others here know of another way to determine this.

Third, I'm truly, truly sorry that you live in Albuquerque. I lived in that city for 11 years of my youth and the only things I miss are the balloon fiesta and the food. Maybe that would be different if I was a coyote hunter back then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.