Old Reloading Stuff

Tnwhip

I was given some old Reloading stuff the other day. American Luger Press. American Luger dies, and Herter dies. 222,8mm, 22-250.25-06,17 Rem. 3/8 sp.,amd 30-06 Everything is dusty but in good shape. There was a real old can of Dupont 4198, it had a 1/2 " cap.

Attachments

• 2015-09-21 16.45.56.jpg
    2015-09-21 16.45.56.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 79
Sweet, looks like you have some work ahead of you cleaning it up. Is it your intent to put it back in service?

I enjoy seeing the sales prices on some old cans of powder and cartridges I have from the late 1960s / early 1970s.

The Herters' stuff brings a smile. If you ever read any of the old Herters' catalogs, George Herters made the best of everything - bar none - at least in his own mind... :)

We bought some of his fiberglass arrow shafts once. Just the blank shafts. They were as heavy as lead compared to Microflight brand shafts manufactured back in those days. I'm sure George Herters advertisement on his arrow shafts led us to believe we needed to buy HIS arrow shafts... best bar none! I was pretty young at the time. A real lesson in false advertising at a young age...:D

Sweet, looks like you have some work ahead of you cleaning it up. Is it your intent to put it back in service?
I cleaned up everything yesterday. It is all in good shape used but good. A couple of the dies had a little rust in a few places on the out side but they cleaned up and look like new inside and out now. The Herters case trimmer cleaned up good but a couple of the pilots had some rust pits. I got two unopened cans of Imr 4350 and Imr 4198 and one of 3031 and two cans of Imr 4895 and a 1/2 can. 2000 9 1/2 rem. primers. Also got 400 Hornandy 25g 17 cal. 200 sierra 50g, and some 270 and 30 bullets. I may use the press for something but I already have 3 and all the dies except the 8mm and the 17 Rem, I guess I will have to get a 17 now LOL:)

I do all of my hand gun reloading on this same press, was given to me by my grandfather back in 1970.

I never would have expected that paint under all that brown. What a beast. What is the diameter of that ram?

I never would have expected that paint under all that brown. What a beast. What is the diameter of that ram?

It was just covered in oil and dust. The ram is 1 3/16". Need to put some kind of spring to keep the handle up. That thing could hurt you. It's heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.