ok guys I need your help... I'm failing with my 25-06. A BOOK!

roninflag- I'm hunting in central mississippi, about an hour south/southeast of Jackson.

I also picked up some accubonds the other day also, I'm gunna try some different loads next week. I'm leaving wednesday when I get in from offshore on a 4 day hunt and when I get back im gunna go back to load testing with the rifle. Until then the factory loads will have to work... its shooting 1 moa for sure so I can deal with that.

When I had my 25-06,I got my best groups using IMR-4350.Imr-4831 is another powder I've had good luck with too,but my groups were consistantly tighter with the IMR-4350.I did shoot some Nosler BT's out of it and they were 100gr and shot well too,but the bulk of the bullets I shot were 117gr and 120gr.My best loads were 51.2grs of IMR-4350 and 52.0grs of IMR-4831 and I used them for bullets of 100grs-120grs.One thing I've learned over the years is every rifle really is different and they like some bullets and powders better.I would recommend trying a different bullet.Try a flat based bullet.When I work with a new rifle,I usually use flat based bullets.I usually can get them to group better than a boattail.I'm not saying boattails won't group well,they do in some rifles,but I've just had better luck working my baseline loads with them.In fact,I've got one 270 rifle that can shoot one ragged hole groups with the two flat based bullets I've tried in it,I've tried two different boattails and she's a 2" shooter,so yes the bullets do make a difference.One word of caution when working with the 25-06 and it goes with others too,pressures can rise quickly with that small necked case,so work up your loads slow and carefully weight each powder charge.Good Luck To Ya,hope you get her shooting tight!

scott b.... I havent had a chance to pick up a chrono yet man... but I definately am!

baldhunter... I appreciate it man. I cant wait to get home and keep working with it!

With a problem this bad start with a floating barrel, can you run a dollar between the barrel and stock? next look at your scope.. what make is it? made in China? it could be the problem try A-MAX or V-MAX by HORNADAY.
What twist is your barrel..if it shoots that bad you may need to have a gunsmith look at your barrel and chamber...even with all the changes you make and it still shoots like this?
I have never had a rifle shoot that bad. You may need a new crown, go match.

KC... I floated the barrel myself. The rifle is shooting factory loads fine. I just cant get the e-tips to fly right out of the rifle.

I had similar experiences with the e-tip. I have hunted with Accubonds and love them. Several rifles I load for shoot them very well, my 7mm has shot them to a .310" group. I was loading for an Afican trip this Spring and wanted to use a one piece bullet in my 308 Norma Mag. It shoots 180 gr factory Oryx at about .5 MOA. but I want to shoot a one piece for a little heavier game. Accubonds work so well the E-tip should load that well, Uh uh. could never get it under 1.5" at 100 yards. Went to Barnes TTSX in 180 grains and I can get .75" and usually get them touching. Still had to work around with powders and you know the usual work up, but it is like some others have said the one piece can be a little different. And some people will tell you to stay away from the Barnes. I recoverd some after penetrating a cedar and then entering the dirt bank backstop. They retained on average between 96-97% of their weight. Oh yeah and this is exactly why I have been telling the local guys that I reload or shoot with that we need to start sharing "try bullets" from when we have tried a load and one was good but another was better. Then we can let a buddy try enough of the one we are not using to work up a load and see if that rifle likes it better.

Sounds like you have done everything there is to be done. Move on to a different bullet. I have guns that won't shoot certain bullets worth a darn but once I determine that I move to something different.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts