Oehler Chronographs

[ QUOTE ]
One draw back I see to the Millenium is that it doesn't allow you to set it up on a longer rod. And I believe when they tested the Millenium and compared it to the Oehler, they were both on a 2' rod. The Oehler was slightly less accurate with this spacing, but I would be willing to bet that when the Oehler is set up on a 4' rod or even an 8' rod, that it is the same or more accurate than the Millenium on the 2'. Oehler states that the accuracy climbs a certain percentage on their unit the farther the skyscreens are from one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The further you space them the more the error goes down.
I'd bet the Oehler on a 4' is more accurate and on a 8' even more so. (not that the 2' errors were bad)

The pressure software/hardware utilized in PressureTrace is better than the Oehler, buy it if you wish to test pressure. As BigBore pointed out, the serial port is being used less and less but Oehler still uses it on the M43. A serial port to USB adapter will not work as well, the Dexadine software does not support it. This means you need a top end computer in order to get one with a serial port, as I had to buy.

Jim Ristow at RSI sells quality stuff, and the CED chrono is a nice one by every account I've read. I still like my Oehler for MV and BC's. I would buy a 35P w/4' rail, PT if you wish to test pressure, then if you wish to test BC's with two chrono's you can do that with buying another 35P later, or get a good average MV up close and then set it downrange to get a good average to calculate the BC. The printout on the 35P is a nice feature. The RSI Ballistic Lab is the best ballistic software on the market IMO, and I've got many of them.

Re: Oehler 35P Chronographs

I really like the 35P and have had no problems getting good readings under any light. Except, of course, when I reversed the dang wires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Oehler should change the plug design so that this isn't possible.

I had two other recommendations for Oehler; neither of which they listened to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

1. The LCD display should be on a 45 deg angle so that it is easier to see when sitting at the bench. Either that or the unit should have some drop down legs in the rear so the whole unit sits at a 45 deg angle. They didn't agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. I had to make a wooden crate that would fit the 2' pole with the screens attached and the chronograph itself. I would have much rather purchased a plastic (tool) box that would have accomodated the set up and would have had a top to protected the unit. A handle would be nice to have too. I searched everywhere for a box of this size, about 26" internal width, but couldn't find one. Too big of a box wouldn't be helpful either. I suggested that Oehler make (and sell) one that would be do the job since you can't find one and many of their customers could use it. They didn't like that idea either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Any of you guys have a suggestion??

VH

Great Report Brent!
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> This means you need a top end computer in order to get one with a serial port, as I had to buy. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Or buy an older used one (off eBay) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as a case for transporting and storing a 35P, Brownell's sells one; or they did? It's just a cheap gun case, but it holds my whole four foot setup, all the plastic parts, includng cables and the photography lighting tripods. Everything goes inside, once you figure it out, and cut some recesses in the egg crate foam. I don't have to dismantle the sky screens, just assemble the plastic triangles and set the ¼X20 studs into the tripods. It makes for a fairly slick setup. I tape, and bundle the plugs at different lengths so I know which one plugs in where? I agree, it could be a little more fool proof, but if you do it wrong once, you learn fast.

One other thing, about the longer distances between screens. I don't know about other places, but the longer your screens are, apart, the harder it is to line them up properly, over uneven ground. With the short time we get between line changes, two people make the process go a little faster; one at the bench, and the other guy moving sideways and raising and lowering, as needed. Eight feet would be that much more trouble, for any gain in accuracy?

Good hunting. LB

You can set the millenium up on a 4 foot rod. They sell one as an acccesory and I believe they stated it could be spaced out to 10 feet! I like the looks of the whole setup and the price can't be beat! Now I am having a hard time deciding between the Oehler and the RSI system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I went back and read it all again and they do sell a 4 foot mounting bracket but they say it will only benefit archers shooting arrows over 24 inches. Also I didn't see anything about 10 foot spacing. I don't know where that came from! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unless I'm missing something - the error should be linear with separation. Going to 4' should half the error (timers error is essentially zero - you only have distance error (with good sensors)). Call/email them and ask - then post the question.

I'm going for the RSI system.

I have been using a CED Millenium chronograph for about 5 years, after 30 years of using Oehler, from model 10 up to 33.

I did not notice any difference in velocities recorded by the CED with my field loads, that I had previously chronographed on numerous occasions with the Oehler.

I am using the standard CED 2 foot spacing, but according to the CED manual, they are also available with 4,6,and 8 foot bars. However, I believe the 6, and 8 foot bars will require the use of 2 tripods whereas the 2 and 4 foot one can be mounted on a single tripod.

However, having used a 10 foot spacing on the Oehlers for 30 years, I am not yet completely sold on the 2 foot spacing idea, and am considering moving to a longer bar at some stage.

About 1 year ago, one of the sensors stopped working, and although it was under warranty, I just bought another one (US$23.95) as it was the quickest way and suited my circumstances at the time. The replacement has worked faultlessly since as you would expect.

I have gained the impression that the CED does appear to be slightly more sensitive to low sun angle late in the day than my last Oelher, but it is difficult to be definitive about it.

The CED is quick and easy to set up and appears a sound system, but am not implying that it is the best. Brian.

b1g bOre I was quoting what I read on their site. I would also think that the error % would be reduced with the longer spacing of the sensors. I would love to email them but my new computer wont be ready for shipment until may 25th! I myself am starting to lean more towards the RSI system with all the attachments. Thanks Brian winzor for the comments on how yours works.

Varmint Hunter Oehler sells a carrying case for the 33 that includes spaces for it all up to 4 foot mounting pole. I will look and find it again and let you know. Here is the link link check it out for yourself and see if thats what your looking for.

Brian,
Am planning to upgrade to the Oehler.I can't decide on the Model 35 or the 35P.I can add the printer to the 35 if needed.I currently have the Chrony unit with a printer that I never use(Printer).I am thinking of getting the whole package which includes a carrying case and stands.Would a good camera tripod be simpler and quicker to set up than the stands?Is the extra $$ for the printer worth it?I am only interested in velocity,ES,SD.(By the way,set my Chrony unit behind an Oehler and the velocity readings were the same,however,the Chrony does strange things when the lighting isn't just right-is the Oehler better?Does the Oehker offer more space under the defusers to shoot?The Chrony has to be exactly square and down the middle).
Thanks for any input.
Jimmy

7Rum,

That case is wayyyyyyy to big for my needs. I need something along the lines of a large tackle box or a moderate tool box. I carry the single tripod separate.

Jimmy,

The Oehler is not very picky as to shooting over the exact center of the screens. A 2' unit mounted on a quality camera tri-pod is very easy to set-up. I use an old Bogan tri-pod that I had for years. The head tips, swivels &amp; pans. Best of all is that it has 2 bubble levels built right in. Set-up usually takes just a minute or two.

I always use the included orange diffusers regardless of the prevailing light and have never had a problem. It may even work well without them but they are helpful to have on when aligning the screens with the target.

VH

I have the 35. As usual, it got shot and I went by Dr. Oehler's and his techs GAVE me the parts I needed and checked the unit calibration for free. When you guys are pricing a chronograph, consider warranty, service, and the pleasant, knowelegable folks at Qehler. I am special, but you will be too, when you need service or advice.

harv

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.