Newby from north of the border

lewk416

Hello everyone,

Been reading some of your posts for a few months. I am getting back into rifles after taking several decades off. Interested in both hunting and long range target.
Two recent purchases for shooting paper are Savage 111LRH 338 Lapua Magnum and a Remington 700 SPS heavy barrel in 22-250. Couldn't decide which one so a buddy said 'buy both, otherwise you won't sleep at night'!lightbulb
Brilliant!

New to both calibres and I have not shot either rifle yet.
I mounted a Millet LRS 6-25x56mm scope on the Savage and have a Meuller AO Tactical 6-16 x 50mm ordered for the Remington along with a Boyd stock.
Keeping the Accustock for now to see how it shoots.
Not a serious shooter and barely a weekend warrior so I don't want to get into spending thousands on optics etc.
Before you say it, why buy a 338 Lapua where one requires a co-signer to shoot the thing? Just wanted a big boom stick. Will be shooting the Remington and a 17hmr primarily.

Plan is to shoot both out of the box first then keep track of any accuracy improvements as I attempt to improve accuracy using off the shelf components and some elbow grease.

Great site with a lot of really good information. Thanks very much for the info I received thus far.

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts